Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Serf

Default Painted firebrick

I am in the process of making my pizza oven and some of my firebricks are painted. Do I need to remove the paint before I begin mortaring? If I do, what is the best method to remove paint?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Painted firebrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaFrench View Post
I am in the process of making my pizza oven and some of my firebricks are painted. Do I need to remove the paint before I begin mortaring? If I do, what is the best method to remove paint?
What application would anyone want to paint firebrick? That can open up a whole can of worms . It depends on what kind of paint the brick were painted with. Do you know the a history of these brick? Without knowing, proof positive that we are not talking about a lead based paint, don't use them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Serf

I can only tell you that the bricks are very old, at least 75 years. People painted firebrick in the 70's because they thought that it looked better; what the heck! I think the paint is latex, it peels off a little when wet. They are painted brown, and from what I have read, the lead would be in the pigment. Wouldn't you use an iron oxide for paint brown?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Serf

Also, none of the brick faces in the oven are painted. Would it create a problem from extensive heat melting the paint...could the fumes still get inside the oven if the painted brick sides are mortared up?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaFrench View Post
Also, none of the brick faces in the oven are painted. Would it create a problem from extensive heat melting the paint...could the fumes still get inside the oven if the painted brick sides are mortared up?
Aside from the (what type of paint) issue and your questions above, the paint may create a bonding problem. This is above my "pay grade" and would love to here someones elses's experience with this .

Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Serf

That was my initial concern.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Painted firebrick

I feel that the best solution would be to diamond saw a slice of brick off and discard if you had to use them, otherwise use them in your base or landfill.
Just not worth having problems later

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Build a fire outside and chuck them in to burn off all the paint, just dont do the marshmallow thing as the fire is going just in case the paint is poisonous.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A flap disc on an angle grinder will do a good job of removing the paint, but use a mask.

Last edited by david s; 07-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Painted firebrick

My used bricks had a thin coat of old morar. I used the wet saw to trim it right down to the clean brick. Took a lot of time for little savings....Would not do it again.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Tags
firebrick, painted