Old 06-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Master Builder

Default Invisible Fence

A little off track, but still related to my WFO build...

While digging for my foundation, I cut through the Invisible Fence wire (for our dog). I knew it was there somewhere, I just didn't think I'd hit it with the first shovel

There are several well versed people in this forum. Anyone know the best way to repair? Just splicing and wrapping in electrical tape doesn't seem like a good long term fix. I've been told I need some water proof, silicone based connector. I called the company, but they will only send someone out ($120). Seems ridiculous for a simple fix.

The wire says 14 gauge PE. What does the PE stand for? Oh, I can't just splice it, I need to extend it a little too, just to get around the oven.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Invisible Fence-wfo-006.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Invisible Fence

I think they are referring to "polyethylene insulated". I would just splice the length of wire you need and cover the solder joint with shrink tubing. Just to be safe, extend it WAY beyond the joint and double up if you want to be absolutely sure. Radio Shack sells the stuff - I believe they carry the good stuff now - what they had a few years ago was crap.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Master Builder

Thanks, Les.

Do I need to solder the ends together with a solder iron (don't have one), or can I twist the two ends together, like when I install an outlet or light fixture (the extent of my electrical experience)? Should I be able to find PE wire at Radio Shack also?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would solder them - sorry. You can get a cheap one at RS. Every home needs a soldering iron - I have 3, as well as a solder pot. I don't know if they carry the product. The only underground wire I have used was Romex for 120v AC. Lowes may carry it.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Journeyman

Mfiore,

Just splice and twist. I would recommend wrapping in tape and then buying some of those waterproof rubber shrink "wrappers" that you put over first before you splice then heat up and shrink - hope that makes sense.

I've buried wire 2 or 3 times. Recently I buried a standard 14 gauge outdoor coated electrical wire (like you would run for an outdoor light). I was tired of the wire breaking or the gophers eathing through it...

Just has to carry a small current is my understaning.

Dick
Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Journeyman

Shrink wrap.... That's it. Make a good connection. Soldering is cheap and easy. Above all.. Shrink wrap it.
Remember! I'm the dick who cut his phone line during excavation. Still receiving calls. Shrink wrap.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Master Builder

You could smear a bit of petroleum jelly on the wire under the shrink wrap to keep it even more waterproof...it will fill all the voids in the wrap so no water can get in...I think twisting it would be OK as I have burind many a cable and done the same...but the vaseline works like a dream
Dutch
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Journeyman

Radio shack and most any auto parts store or boating center. Most are adhesive lined and do not need the vaseline(is great idea for non adhesive type though). If you decide to twist it just make sure to make a long tight twist (at least 1" at each connection) (also tie wires lengthwise and NOT LIKE A BREAD TWIST TIE). Use at least a 3" shrink on a 1" splice. If solder gun is available move heat shrink at least 6" away from area and solder the twisted wire. After it cools slide shrink over repair and heat tubing with a cigarette lighter. Because I know you do not have a heat gun if you dont have a soldering iron lol.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Invisible Fence

Self amalgamating tape is also handy for sealing cables such as that. It is used on airial coax cables and over a short period of time it seems to 'melt' and join onto it self with a water proof joint. It is available in Australia at most elrctonics supply stores. Just ensure that the cable is clean and dry prior to wrapping. I would use lacquer thinners or even alcohol (not the burbon type though) to clean it first.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunKnight View Post
heat tubing with a cigarette lighter. Because I know you do not have a heat gun if you dont have a soldering iron lol.
Are you kidding? No cigarette lighter either

Thanks for all the advice. This forum rocks!

I used a combination of above input. I twisted the wires together (not like a bread twist tie), coated in vaseline, put on a shrink wrap, heated with my wifes hair dryer (worked well enough). Finished it with a coat of a liquid vinyl seal. Worked well.

Thanks all!