Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Serf

Default Building an oven in Hawaii

Does anyone know anyone who built an oven in Hawaii. I need some advice on getting materials. Thanks Paul
Old 12-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Building an oven in Hawaii

This is one that comes to mind... sounds as if it may be difficult. If you have any questions on using alternative materials, ask away (that volcanic stuff sounds quite good).

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...tion-3192.html (Cinder and basalt in oven construction)

This one might also be useful.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...ials-1695.html (Finding oven materials)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Frances; 12-18-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Master Builder

What materials are you looking for?

I posted some nice pics of a hawaiian oven....you have a lot of nice natural stone to use there!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Serf

I am looking for insulation materials, vermiculite, refractory mortar. I have nearly completed the stand and will begin the overn soon. thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Serf

I found a supplier in Hawaii who distributes Sairset dry and wet. 55 lb bag and 50 lb tub are both about $45. The distributor here in Hawaii is Pacific refractories in Honolulu. The rep is in California and was kind enough to call me. Pacific refractories also has all grades of firebrick and insulation material.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I found a supplier in Hawaii
That's great, because it's sometimes hard to find refractory materials in hot climates.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Serf

I have extra fiber blanket, Kaowool. Will it provide insulation if I use it under the fire brick hearth. I know it will compress but I could put 2 layers if it provides any results. Thanks. Paul
Old 12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wouldn't do that. I think part of it's insulating value is in the loft and if you smash it you'll lose that part. You're better off with either board or vermicrete under the floor.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I have extra fiber blanket, Kaowool. Will it provide insulation if I use it under the fire brick hearth. I know it will compress but I could put 2 layers if it provides any results
If you squish it solid (remember ovens are really heavy) it will have no more insulation value than masonry.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Serf

dmun, thank you. Will 2 inches of refractory cement "Mizzou" under the hearth provide sufficient insulation to maintain the temperature on the oven floor. I cannot get vermiculite here.