Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Serf

Default Barrowed idea : for encasement

I attached a picture . Would love to get thoughts on this .

Barrowed idea : for encasement-metalcase_wood_oven.jpg
Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Barrowed idea : for encasement

What is your specific question?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Serf

The picture on the bottom is what i'm thinking of doing to allow me to move the oven when i move to another house . I would think that i would some how make it modular so that i can take it apart and reassemble it . would I have to make the oven slide in and out for transportation to the new house ? Not sure of what type of metal for the roof , legs , etc . Type of welding ?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Metal stands are not uncommon, Forno Bravo sells a prefab one, and here are some threads on the subject:

Google

You may want to think in terms of a transportable build, instead of a movable one. A dry stacked stand on an existing patio, covered by precast concrete lintels, and with a board-and-blanket insulated build with sand and fire clay mortar can just be disassembled and the materials moved in a pickup truck. Brick ovens are really heavy and brittle: moving one intact is not a trivial project.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Serf

Thanks Dmun . I went through all the picture on this site and couldn't find an example that gave me a clue on transportable build . Dry stack is similar to building stone fences back east and Europe ? " a board-and-blanket insulated build with sand and fire clay mortar can " . Could you explain this a little better . I'm thinking that you mean a cement board and cement brick that look like stone , Glue (for lack a better word) to the cement board.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Concrete blocks stack up dry without problem. In a permanent build alternating cores are filled with concrete and rebar: you can skip this if you're planning to disassemble it. On top of this usually goes a poured slab of reinforced concrete. You can skip this and get cast concrete lintels. They are made to go over windows and openings in block structures, but a line of them can span your block structure to support your oven.

When you build your oven you can substitute a permanent mortar that hardens solid with a mixture of half fireclay and half sand. This forms sort of a refractory mud that will easily break apart when it's time to disassemble your oven. Almost all this "mortar" will hose off your bricks.

The "Board and blanket" refers to the type of refractory insulation. If you use these they can be simply taken off and moved, rather than vermiculite concrete that must broken up and disposed of.

For good examples of temporary builds, visit the MHA website. For their annual meeting they always build wood fired ovens and heaters that are disassembled at the end of the week, and the materials stored for re-use. Scroll to the bottom of that (long) linked page for more examples.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Serf

I found the dry stone wall association in Lexington , Ky on the web and facebook. I think i understand what you posted earlier . Thanks.