Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Serf

Default Wookie's 'In Oven' Grill

Having made Pizza, roasts and baked bread I thought it was time to grill. I have been looking for a suitable cast iron grill with adjustable 'legs' for months - no luck! Decided to build my own.

I bought a stainless steel grill (from a local BBQ shop) so it could be welded. Also bought some square galvanised tubing, one size that fits inside the other. Cut the lengths so the height would fit through the Oven door and welded feet onto the legs (so it would slide in easily) and a nut to the sleeve. Drilled through the welded nut and threaded the hole to take the adjusting bolt. Welded a 'T' piece on the bolt and now have a fully adjustable grill for 'In Oven' cooking.

Depending on the height of the coals I can raise or lower the grill to suit.

Can't wait to try it!!

Attached Thumbnails
Wookie's 'In Oven' Grill-grill.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Wookie's 'In Oven' Grill

I like that.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey wookie,
Nice job,, good idea,,

Cheers Mark
Old 10-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Journeyman

That is a nice looking grill!! Only thing I want to mention is if it where me, I would fire it a few times outside of the oven. I wouldn't want all the zinc that is gonna burn off to burn off inside my oven.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Apprentice

Is there an issue with using galvanized metal for this type of application? Inhaling zinc oxide isn't a good thing...
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wookie's 'In Oven' Grill

Wookie,
Have you thought about making 4 identical hook like legs (as on the top of a walking stick only up side down), pivoting them so that when rotated you get a variable height lift of your grilling plate over your glowing coals. They could all be linked together with two light connecting rods so that when you rotated a leg, they all worked in unison, locked with a set screw at the required height and you have the perfect grill/baking utensil for those wonderful steaks we get here. You would also do away with the rather high, get in the way tubular pipes/legs. I would imagine that you would need to go down to possibly 50-60mm and up to 150mm or there abouts.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Serf

Hmmmm! ... don't know if your concern is a significant problem. Galvanised metal is pretty durable, even in heat up to 200C, but thanks for the comment. I have now used the grill and the steaks were just fantastic. I will continue to experiment with relative heights above the coals but so far am very happy with the results. Cheers

Last edited by Wookie; 11-08-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Checked the optimal heat!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Serf

Thanks for the suggestions but........ . It is built, and I am happy with what I have. maybe others can take up your ideas. Cheers
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neat grill idea but the zinc issue deserves consideration. I don't know at what temp zinc vaporization becomes an issue but it can be a problem with welding and cutting. The temps for welding and acetylene cutting ae in the 1000 degree C range or higher and I do my steaks in my oven at about 550 C. I would assume you are similar.

I would suggest doing an internet search on zinc and poison and see if you can find a solid reference. While the most common problems involve people who weld and cut for a career, it appears you may be at risk. From what I can tell, galvanized parts are not to be used in stoves or even flues.
Jay

Last edited by texassourdough; 11-09-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Journeyman

I agree it is reason for concern. Not really a big deal, I would just burn it off...or even better use a weak acid to burn it off and then coat in in grill paint to protect the base metal. As I have mentioned in the past on this forum I am a union sheet metal worker by trade. In our trade the fumes from welding galvanized metal have been connected to Parkinson's disease among other things. Not something you want to mess around with. I guarantee that after a few uses you will see areas where the galvanization has burned off. At that point you now have Zinc Oxide in your oven, which is safe, non-toxic, and is even used as a food additive. The problem is when Zinc Oxide sublimates it produces toxic fumes. That said, Zinc Oxide isn't something I would want floating around my oven along with my raging fire.