Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Apprentice

Default Time to Jump In...

I've been lurking for a while now, and recently joined. This forum is an amazing resource.

So....here goes....

After much negotiation, I have now started my oven project. It has now evolved into an outdoor patio, with countertops and a grill attached to the oven. We excavated for the pad this week and I spent this morning laying rebar and mesh.

Pictures, of course, will follow.

A quick question - I have room on the side of my oven to make the grill almost any dimension, but I am lacking plans for such. I've been looking around for these, and I am thinking 3 feet high, 2 feet deep, and 3 feet wide. Sound good, or am I way off?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Time to Jump In...

Welcome! By Grill, do you mean a masonry grill? The size sounds pretty good to me. Will you have a separate vent for that or will it just be open at the top? Does the height represent the back wall of the grill?

Drake
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Apprentice

Well, to be honest, I was originally thinking of making the grill out of building blocks, and then facing it with some brick, but I got to thinking why not make the darn thing out of brick?

I was planning on an open grill - the height represents the cooking surface height.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Apprentice

Default Pad Prep Done, Waiting Concrete Delivery

Finished off the pad preparation today - thusfar the project entails a corner installation oven with the grill and a countertop coming off of it (like an "L") and another pizza prep/guest counter on the opposite end of the patio (free standing).

As soon as I locate where my 9 year old put the USB cable, I'll be uploading some photos...
Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Welcome Joe,

I am looking forward to seeing how your grill goes from concept to construction. I am thinking of doing something similar, whether the grill can work with both wood coals from the oven, or charcoal when I'm not firing the oven.

Are you thinking of doing some hand sketched drawings? If you are, you could scan them and post them here. I could convert them to a drawing tool if you are interested. I think other folks would be interested as well, so maybe we can come up with some plans for a traditional open grill.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:38 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey all,
I have moved this thread to a new forum category on designing an open grill. Let's see if we can make some progress on this. I'm looking forward to it.
James

Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If his 9 year old is anything like my cat it could be a while...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Welcome Joe,

I am looking forward to seeing how your grill goes from concept to construction. I am thinking of doing something similar, whether the grill can work with both wood coals from the oven, or charcoal when I'm not firing the oven.

Are you thinking of doing some hand sketched drawings? If you are, you could scan them and post them here. I could convert them to a drawing tool if you are interested. I think other folks would be interested as well, so maybe we can come up with some plans for a traditional open grill.

James
I was thinking of something fairly simple - a place to dump the coals and a simple metal grate that I could change the level to perhaps two or three heights.

I will work on getting my sketch scanned in.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Serf

Here's a link Building Masonry Barbecue Pit a couple of features in these pics could spark idea's
Old 06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Beautiful job

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaptogap View Post
Here's a link Building Masonry Barbecue Pit a couple of features in these pics could spark idea's
That is a bit more than I was imagining, but you got my mouth watering! Now how do I convince the wife that building a barbecue that will hold a whole pig should go next to the dome oven?