Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Serf

Default Crazy guy wants to build a WFO over outdoor fireplace

Hi everybody,
Well I'm new here and looking to see if anyone has seen a WFO built over a wood burning outdoor fireplace. I've started on the fireplace foundation and and have laid the block for the fireplace and niches to just up over the fireplace opening. Now here's where it gets interesting, or crazy as my friends tell me. Over the fireplace opening I'd like to build a WFO. As you can imagine this presents a few challenges. Such as the flue for the fireplace as the WFO will be directly above it.
Being an engineer, this challenge is something I must take on and complete.
I'll post pics as soon as Ii figure that part out but in the meantime if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Crazy guy wants to build a WFO over outdoor fireplace

I guess it could be done if the fireplace wasn't too big and the flue went behind the oven?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You won't be able to use both at the same time, so why bother? Either design it to be both but either/or, or move the oven to the side and simplify your life.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Apprentice

Yea, you would have to make pizzas first, then light a fire to sit around afterwards. But unless it's a space issue, Id have to agree with Tscarborough and Not stack them!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM

The principal difficulty is that the flue for the fireplace should be where your oven entry is. They can't share a flue: the airflow just doesn't work, and if you try you are going to end up with a smoky mess.

There's also the point that cooking and sitting around the fire are quite different activities. Consider having the fireplace face a different direction than the oven, and place your seating area separate from your cooking area. My oven incorporates a fireplace, and they are 180 degrees apart. This makes for some awkward flue tilting, but it works.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Journeyman

How about something along the design idea of a white oven, ie the heat from the fireplace is used to heat the oven and the smoke is diverted away. I don't know exactly how white ovens work but that is where I would start if this were my plan.
Eric
Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Laborer

Hello eprante,

Looking at your icon(avatar), it looks like it is an igloo oven. do you have any pictures or album I can look at?. I am building my second oven, and this time I would like to build an igloo shape.
My Web site

salute
Old 02-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Peasant

its not so crazy, a member here has done it twice that I know of, once for a show and once for a customer, both are in the gallery

PhotoPlog - Finished Ovens

i believe he has the fireplace venting into the oven but has a choke on it so can be closed when the oven is used, as mentioned using them are often two different activities so the trade off may never hinder either ?

or run the flue for the fire over the oven in an arc kind of like the ovens the masonary heaters do where the chimney is in at the top of the dome, that way you can have both flues together but not shared (but could be encapsulated so they look as one tho)
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've recently seen a number of ovens in Europe that shared a fireplace. They were all simply sitting in the fireplace, which in most cases was pretty big.Because we were hit with a cyclone our power has been off for four days so I can't access a photo. This post comes courtesy of McD's WiFi
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Master Builder

Hope all is well david, know all about typhoons here in the Philippines.