Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Apprentice

Default Argentinian Parrilla wood/charcoal grill

I believe that I want to make an argentinian parrilla grill. Firebrick on 3 sides, small chimney, iron pipe and an external crank that can easily move the grilling surface closer or further from the heat by chain.

here is a good example. And, it should blend well with your current ovens, as it is firebrick finished with your same finish.

Parrilla Argentina
Attached Thumbnails
Argentinian Parrilla wood/charcoal grill-parilla-1.jpg   Argentinian Parrilla wood/charcoal grill-parrilla-2.jpg  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Argentinian Parrilla wood/charcoal grill

Unfortuneatly, the wife said no to mine a few years ago until I finish a few other tasks. Hmmph! Now where to get the crank assembly?

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Apprentice

They can be purchased along with the v channel grill from a number of vendors, but to me, it's a chance to build the surround and chimney. They say "build two ovens, one to learn on, where the mistakes are known only to you, and one to be perfect". I finished my oven a couple years back and I'm itching to build something , and what better way to compliment the best ovens on earth than building the best grill on earth. This is the next great frontier. Go forth and conquer.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Journeyman

I hear ya ThermoJax! Just gotta buy the stuff on the sly so I have EVERYTHING when I pull the trigger. One thing I noticed in this rendition is the coal box is on the side - one of the designs has a sheet of steel and the ready coals coming off the bottom (if memory serve right and I find the link!)

C5

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 AM
Apprentice

Hi TJ,
To accompany my wfo I too am looking to do an Argentinian grill. However I saw your photos and they look different than some (not all) of the pics I have seen.
Is the 'basket' always seperated from the grill like that? Many of the photos I have seen they are not separate. They are built in such a way, to my understanding, so that the fire is started in the basket, then the embers are pushed underneath the grill for the cooking.
Some of these are done enclosed, some not. Can you fill me in on the differences, etc?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Apprentice

A friend from Argentina first turned me on to them. Since then, I try to eat in Argentine steak houses, and yes, I too have seen them both ways. I think one advantage of having them seperated is that is provides a wall between the two, both to act as a surface to atta ch a guide for the grill to go up and down, and also additional control of heat. I would think this allows a robust fire in the basket that will not overcook your meats, so that you just pull over to the grill side just the right amount of heat.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Apprentice

TJ reference my above, These pics are uraguayan grills but same idea maybe less enclosed but the basket & grill are not seperated.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...-grill-01.html

[IMG][/IMG]

Bob
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
You might want to check out parrilla a Manual in this section ... It seems to cover a lot
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Apprentice

Had a look, thanks. Lots of good info. I'm going to be in that neighborhood sort of, next month. Will be going to Chile, Santiago area for some skiing mid July. Hope the grills there are similar.