Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Outdoor Fireplace installation photos

We've made our decisions on height and location, so we're off and running.

Yesterday, we built the stand and poured the hearth. So far, it's a lot like an oven stand. Notice the nifty idea the mason had for framing the hearth. The 2"x4"s set the hearth to the correct height and level with the stand, while the 2"x6"s on the sides kept the form centered left/right. Everyone goes about this differently.

I think we will set the fireplace on Monday.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0319.jpg   Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0320.jpg   Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0321.jpg   Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0322.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Outdoor Fireplace installation photos

We put the Calore kit together late yesterday, and we've moved on to the outdoor kitchen counters. More on that in the Outdoor Kitchen category.

The kits go in fast.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0325.jpg  

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The kits go in fast.
James
...and inexpensively? I presume you can get a tax write-off on this whole project. I've got the wrong accountant

-
Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hah. This isn't for fun. This is for work.
James

Old 02-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exactly as I thought! All work and no play makes a dull Jack (or James, as the case may be).

-

Last edited by gjbingham; 02-19-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hmmmm. When did I become dull? Irritating maybe, but not dull. Wait a minute while I clean the mortar off my keyboard. :-)
James

Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hahahah. Your keyboard looks like mine huh?" The kids have dropped crumbs from cupcakes all over and in the desktop keyboard. I freak of course. Monsters I tell ya! Monsters!

-
Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Here's an idea. We were working on the layout for the surround and mantel for the outdoor fireplace, and the masons decided to draw the design on a piece of plywood, and set it in place to make sure we all like it.

I think that's a good idea -- in that it lets you see proportions and dimensions, before you start cutting a bunch of bricks or blocks. Now, hopefully, we will like how it comes out. :-)

James
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0339.jpg   Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0340.jpg  

Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Here's an idea. We were working on the layout for the surround and mantel for the outdoor fireplace, and the masons decided to draw the design on a piece of plywood, and set it in place to make sure we all like it.

I think that's a good idea -- in that it lets you see proportions and dimensions, before you start cutting a bunch of bricks or blocks. Now, hopefully, we will like how it comes out. :-)

James
So far so good James.
I really need to expand on my WFO and add counters. Sure would make pizza making and especially the clean up a "snap"!

The brick layout on the plywood looks great!
I'm enjoying watching your progress.
Of course, I have high expectations from you!!!

Signed,

Dull Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thanks Dave,
Here is the fireplace with the blocks in place. We bought two big slabs of limestone, and it did three fireplaces. It cuts pretty easily with a diamond blade/skill saw for rough cuts, and a tile saw for the final cuts. The mantel is next.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor Fireplace installation photos-img_0342.jpg