Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Fireplace surround

Here is the surround for our indoor fireplace. If you missed that thread, I tore out a very dated stacked stone surround (which will end up on my brick oven enclosure) and we just cut the new surround stone. It's 4 1/2" thick Texas Cream Limestone. We used one of those chainsaw type saws with a big diamond blade. The hearth stone in photo 1 weights about 1,000 lbs all by itself. Woof.

Fun is not the word I would use, but it definitely is interesting. You could see the dust storm from the end of the block. Hopefully it will look good when it's in place.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace surround-img_0165.jpg   Fireplace surround-img_0166.jpg   Fireplace surround-img_0167.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Fireplace surround

Wow!

I love it. I was looking to buy a premade unit.

Looks like making your own is not out of the question?

Do you sand it smooth with woodworking sander to finish?

Chris

Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Chris,

Funny you ask. We decided to have a hand chipped look on the field stone, and a more sanded smooth look on the hearth and mantel. The mason was here yesterday chipping away at the stone with a small hand pick. We all thought it felt sort of biblical, with the sound of the handmade chip, chip, chip in the background. :-)

The hearth goes in today.

James

Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Here is the photo of our new fireplace surround, with the stone set - but not the grout. This was quite a job, and I think it came out pretty good. We still have to see how it works with the rest of the room. We had a lot of trouble getting proportions right. Not too high, not too squat. Starting with the raised hearth was a challenge.

I was only a helper on this one.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace surround-img_0189.jpg  

Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Master Builder

When I showed my wife the earlier pic, she was afraid it would not be formal looking enough for her tastes. I beg to differ. Especially with the latest pics. I really like the way it's shaping up.

I priced some limestone surrounds a few years ago and the ones I found were scary expensive.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Christo