Old 06-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Serf

Default BBQ Smoker under Pizza Oven

This is my second oven. The first one was sold with our house and will forever be missed. The most important lesson I learned from my previous oven was that I would like to use that space under the oven for something more important than storing wood. My idea is to build a Smoke pit that vents into the chimney from the oven.

Some potential problems I have already thought of:

1. The smoker will be low to the ground
2. I will have to build a permanent form for the hearth base because the typical open space under the oven will be consumed.

Has anyone attempted such a design? Any thoughts?

Jonathon
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Serf

Default Re: BBQ Smoker under Pizza Oven

I was thinking put a smoker box off of the vent from the oven. It would be smaller but wouldn't need two burning spaces. and I was also thinking to drop the height of the oven to not waste space, or do something different as well. Maybe put an outdoor oven or a fridge in there.
Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Master Builder

The ash slot used to be a part of many of our designs.

I always wondered if that could be put to good use as a conduit to put heat and smoke into the oven with a door in place.

Small smoker fire beneath and the smoke and heat is funnelled into the dome for a days worth of smoking texas style beef brisket or North Carolina Barbeque.

I posted some links to a Japanese Pizza oven on here a few years ago. I think it's similar to what is lately heard around here as a white oven. That guys design could easily be used as a smoker.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Master Builder

heres a pic and a link to the original posts. Glad I put some pics on here as the web link no longer works.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/f...above-439.html (Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above)

For pizza days I'd be tempted to block off the hole in the back and make the fire inside the top dome.

the cool thing was that you could build a fire on the bottom level and use the middle grate to grill, too.

christo

Last edited by christo; 08-10-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
The ash slot used to be a part of many of our designs.
Small smoker fire beneath and the smoke and heat is funnelled into the dome for a days worth of smoking texas style beef brisket or North Carolina Barbeque.
Christo
Mmmmmmm......Eastern North Carolina Barbeque...<drool>
Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Serf

I built the smoker and routed the chimney out the back and over the dome. Pictures will be up in the coming weeks. The draw is great and we have smoked more meat than you can imagine. Two old boiler doors make up the front.

More to come.

Jonathon
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Laborer

I just saw your post and I am interested to see what you came up with. Do you guys have any informaiton or links on how to smoke a brisket or ribs as Christo mentioned?

If you scroll down the fifth post here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...vens-7609.html (cold or hot smoking meats in our ovens?)

You can see my post about smoking and a link to my oven. I have planed to adapt a sheet metal flu from the ash slot to the inside of the oven. I have the same idea as you but will use the method.

Loren
Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Serf

I am attaching a picture of my idea. It seems to work fine routing the smoke out of the back of the smoker and then over the dome into the chimney. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
BBQ Smoker under Pizza Oven-p1010110.jpg  
Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM

That's fine for a freestanding oven, but if it's going to go past a building inspector, you can't vent two wood burning functions with a common flue.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Serf

I am going to make the chimney slightly wider and vent them separately up the same stack. The smoker works better than expected. A guest from Houston says that it produced meat as good as anything she has had at the best bbq places in Texas.