Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Serf

Default bbq

Super forum.
Please help me with ideas and maybe with doc/photo to build a brick or concrete outdoor barbeque.
Thank you.

PS: I am a big fan of home made bread !
Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: bbq

Is anbody going to bite on this one? I am interested wood and charcoal grills, and would enjoy hearing more about this. I have at least one more outdoor kitchen in me (probably coming up soon), and I am seriously considering an old-fashioned masonry grill/BBQ.

Any ideas?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When I went to Italy last year we stayed in a house that had this oven with a grilling area next to it. I thought it was an excellent design, shovel coals out of the oven and grill away.

The brick enclosure of the grilling area really bounced the heat back on the grilling meat!

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
bbq-italy_1923.jpg  
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Drake,

That's our oven! It's a model our producer makes that we don't sell in the states. Cool.

Here's something similar from France.

I'm still wondering about the best way to build it and vent it.
James
Attached Thumbnails
bbq-provence4.jpg  

Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

I'd build a simple box, a bit wider and deeper than the largest grill I'd be using. It looks like the Italian version has a straight back. I'd angle it inward a bit, a la Rumford, then build a standard flue tile chimney using 6" tile. Should work just fine.

Jim
Old 04-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I feel as though I have a good intuitive feeling for how a brick oven cooks, how the fire works, etc., but I'm not as clear on the grill.

Over the years I've owned Weber kettles, various propane grills with lava rocks and steel "flavor bars" and I've done my share of cooking in concrete grills using either Euro charcoal or wood. But I am trying to visualize how the heat works, and how the "best" wood/charcoal grill works.

What is the true heat source? The coals, or the refractory material that makes up the grill? There are Italian grills that stack up a wood fire in a metal grill in the back of the BBQ, and let the coals fall down -- which are the pulled forward. Does the heat in the back of the grill help cook? Why are Weber grill's domed, but Australian grills are open. Etc.

Confused in grill-land.

James

Last edited by james; 04-23-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

I was thinking along the lines of using coals from the oven to fuel the grill area. Of course, you could build a fire in the grill, then rake the coals around for an even floor. To my mind, the heat source is really not the refractory material, but the coals themselves. That's why I suggested leaning the bricks on the back inward, so you'd get reflective heat as well. When I've done things like this, that's always been the plan.

Jim
Old 04-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Master Builder

That is exactly what I was planning on doing with the grill that I plan to put in to my outdoor kitchen. But then I wondered if it was actually useful in practice.

My question is - and I guess its a combination wood/fire managment and personal expereience question.

When the people out there that have ovens are cooking -

Do you normally have a lot of coals that could be used in a grill once the temperature is up in the oven?

And --- Do those that use their ovens see many times when they would like to be grilling and making pizzas at the same time?

I can see myself grilling up a few chicken breasts for the pizzas.

If the answer to either of those is no - I may opt for a gas grill......

Thanks Christo.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Cristo,
Good question. It will be interesting to hear what folks are doing.

Here are a couple of photos of the more traditional Mediterranean grill. The good ones are made from refractory material around the grill, with concrete vents and stands. Every store, from the supermarket to the garden center carries these, and there are very (very) few propane grills to be found, and no kettle grills.

The first photo shows the design where you burn wood in a grate in the back, and use the coals. You see that design in restaurants as well.

Any thoughts from our Aussie grill owners?

James
Attached Thumbnails
bbq-grilletto.jpg   bbq-positano.jpg   bbq-tulipano.jpg  

Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Drake,

That's our oven! It's a model our producer makes that we don't sell in the states. Cool.
May be interesting to note that the oven in that picure was once one giant custom oven. They had recently knocked out the old oven, installed a smaller precast one on the right, made the grill section on the left and they shared the old vent system from the larger oven.

Drake