Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Apprentice

Default What to use for my worktop bench??

Hi everyone,

I am almost ready to finsh off my worktop bench for my WFO and am wondering what to do it in. My WFO sits on a 45 degree angle in my patio with a bench of around 1.8 metres running off to the right. My first thought was tiles as they can be done in any kind of colour and price wise, its not too exy. But the only problem is keeping the grout clean when doing lots of food on the bench like preparing pizzas, roast, ect. The other option is doing a stone top. They are easy to clean, look good....but can cost alot of money. What does eveyone out there have and is it better to stick to tiles or spend the extra on stone??

Cheers
Scott
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What to use for my worktop bench??

I used bull-nosed terra cotta tiles and then sealed them thoroughly to prevent any liquid getting into the surface.

Last edited by heliman; 04-08-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:33 AM

The rolled-edge stainless tops used in commercial kitchens are surprisingly affordable, and can be bought for close to the scrap cost used, if you don't mind a dent or two. They also come with stainless legs if you don't want to build a base.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Concrete, well sealed.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Apprentice

This is what my WFO and bench look like....thinking sealed tiles may be the way to go. I am thinking stone will cost too much. Ideas would be great.

Cheers
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
What to use for my worktop bench??-file0223.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Journeyman

DIY concrete counters. You could do that much for very little $$. I prefer moulded vs. cast in place, but both have their benefits. More work than tiling, however.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Laborer

Call me old fashioned, but I use pine. Being snow covered for 5-6 months a year means tile/stone/steel suck the heat out of everything and freeze your cleanup cloth.. The old thinking used to be that wood was un hygenic , but recent research has shown that the same properties that stop wood from decomposing also rid it of bacteria in a short time..[it's those plastic cutting boards that are extreemly unhygenic].
OK, so the fat and ashes can[ and will] stain the wood and when it's new it's like a dent in your new car,, but call just call it patina and if it gets too much for you slap on a new bit of wood.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Polished concrete. Down to 3000 grit. (aka cultured marble)

Seal it with something like "Aqua Mix enrich'n'seal"

Finished surface is food safe, will take 500 degree pots, is indestructible, you can roll dough on it, it is cheap, and be made to any shape you want and it looks great. There are various colors of concrete dye available.

And, you will learn a whole new skill while making it !

Last edited by Neil2; 02-21-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Peasant

Go to this site CHENG Concrete Exchange - Concrete Countertops - Design Ideas, Concrete Countertop Training, DIY + Pro Products, Find a Contractor. I have used their products on a few customers counters. You can do a lot of fun things. Do precast easier than poured in place. I bent some stick copper into a sun shape and filled it with amber glass. Then scattered mother of pearl then poured on top of it. When you polish you expose everything.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice site mikeye15.

You can do just about anything with concrete counter tops. And they are cheap (for materials - lots of labour). A perfect excuse to buy more tools !