Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Serf

Default Planning the Patio

Well I am getting ready to go home & start working on the patio. I am trying to plan it out carefully, so as to end up with a really great, usable space.
I did a few simple drawings with MSPaint that I was hoping to get some suggestions from.
This is my yard as it stands now:

The plan is to mark out & pour a slab that connects to the existing slab. Phase 2 will be to put in a stairway & double doors where my dining room window is.
Maybe something like this:

I feel like concrete is the best way forward, but am open to other ideas..
Here is one more:

I want to end up with something very useable & well laid out.
S.

PS. In case you were wondering, No! They are not to scale

Last edited by sharp21; 06-14-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Planning the Patio

I like the second one better- especially if you leave your oven igloo shaped. I like the way all the curves repeat. Planning your design carefully so you can do it in stages if you need to is a very smart way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Journeyman

How close is your oven to the property line or the house? Many areas have restrictions regarding these. If you are close than 10 ft to the house, most areas will require you to meet internation fire codes. ( I.E. a chimney 3 ft taller than any part of the structure within 10 ft.)
Having said that, I like #3. It puts seating close to the oven so your guests can distract you while you are burning pizza.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Journeyman

No way to save the lilac? What a shame--that's one of the plants I miss most here in the desert. Aside from that lament, I, too, like the last design a lot. But do check with your local codes. I just had to completely rethink my overall design and placement based on setback regulations. Good thing I checked before I started pouring the foundation.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Serf

Thanks for the replies!
I actually just whipped up #3 at the end, but its the one I am leaning towards as well.
As far as building codes, I need to keep the oven 10' from combustables, so I am going to measure off the house & the fence, then let that be my datum for the rest of the build. The 4th pine tree on the right will need to come out too.
As for the lilac, I would like to transplant it, as it is a very nice one. The drawings arent to scale & speaking with the wife yesterday she says that it will get in the way of the stairs, so it definately needs to go...
I am also planning on leaving the oven as an igloo, so it doesnt overpower the yard.
I thought of doing some kind of compass rose inset mosaic, like in drawing #2.
S.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Sharp,

One small idea -- you need to maintain 10' from combustibles from the chimney, not the entire oven. That might give you an additional foot or so in one direction or the other. The setbacks from the oven opening are typically 30" from each side of the oven opening and 36" in front of the opening. Though a concrete or brick patio isn't combustible. :-)

If your local building department is going to take a look, you can use the Casa installation guide as a guideline. It should help.

I hope you can save the Lillac.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Serf

Ive added a couple of things to that last one. We are planning on building some raised gardens & I would like to build a shed that sticks through the fence, but with the bulk of the body in the RV parking space (gravel).

Again, its not to scale so the patio set is too big, but you get the idea.
Added the mosaic back in to see how that might look & moved the seating wall/bench/planter a bit.
S.

Edit: Now that I am looking at it again, we will probably extend the lower garden box further into the yard.

Last edited by sharp21; 06-14-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's looking really good. I have raised beds as well, and I love them. Much less bending over and they stay a whole lot neater. Put as much in of those as you can squeeze in! They're also quite productive in a small space. The book "square foot gardening", is a big help in the idea department (his electrical conduit trellis is ingenious and cheap!), although he's a bit self-promoting in some ways, and thus gets a little irritating. Over all, though, there's a lot of information there.

I like the mosaic too.

When faced with our oven plans, our building inspector just shrugged and said "looks like an outdoor barbeque to me, no inspections or codes to follow". I guess it's different everywhere.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 AM

One quick note: your idea of tilting the oven mouth toward the kitchen window was a good one: a quick glance from inside will tell you if you need to add wood.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Serf

Aha! Honestly I had it angled that way to provide better viewing from the seating area. When I started thinking about the built in seat I moved it, but thats a good idea.
Good point also about the 10' being to the chimney. That could end up making a big difference.
S.