Old 03-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Outdoor kitchen cabinets

You can build outdoor kitchen cabinets from concrete blocks, metal studs, welded steel or a combination of the three. There are also pre-made kits that let you build outdoor cabinets like tinker toys, and there are laminated cabinets made using compressed woods and glues capable of withstanding water and outdoor conditions.

It would be fun to hear what past builders have done, and what new builders are thinking of doing.

This is a new forum, and I think the information here will be very valuable to new builders.

Thanks!
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Outdoor kitchen cabinets

Hi, our outdoor cabinets are made from a combination of materials. The right side, which has a burner and bbq, are framed with metal studs. The left side is framed with 2x4's. Both sides are clad in plywood and then stucco'ed. Counters are plywood/wonderboard/granite.

The stainless doors under the sink, range, and bbq just open to the inside of the cabinets.

This is covered by a roof and stays quite dry. I'd have done differently if this was unprotected outside.

The wood oven is about 5 feet to the right of the bbq by the way.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Journeyman

I have had brick-on-flat walls built on a footing in front of the wood oven, which will act as dividers between the sink cupboard, bar fridge recess, oven access bay/ash pit, barbecue and in-built deep fryer. I'm proposing to frame three of these bays with 3" x 1" timber battens and hinge doors on them, to create cupboards. Bench top will be solid granite. I decided on brick as the oven will be clad in red brick to match our house. The wall above the bench will also be brick to roof height.

John, those stainless steel cupboards and drawers - are they 'off the shelf' products, or did you have them specially fabricated? They look really neat! What do you mean by the doors opening to the inside of the cabinets? Do they open only at right angles, or do they slide back flush with the bench top after opening them?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Apprentice

Hi, the stainless under counter stuff is all pre-fab, just ordered off the internet. The doors open outward like any other cabinet door, sorry for the poor description. What I meant to say is that the inside of the cabinets are unfinished, when you open the door you see the inside framing.

I get asked frequently if the drawers are warming drawers. They are not. They are drawers full of junk like most other drawers in our home. Wine openers, garden shears, gloves, coasters, etc.

The only stainless we had fabricated was the backsplash behind the grill.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I was looking through my photos today, and found this. It is the early metal stud framing for our outdoor cabinets and counters. Thought you might find it interesting.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen cabinets-dsc00062.jpg  

Old 03-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Here's another photo with the concrete board on, and the poured concrete counters.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen cabinets-dsc01177.jpg  

Old 03-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Serf

We have recently finished our outdoor kitchen. Here in New Jersey we can't wait for the snow to thaw so we can get started with the pizza parties!!

We had ours professionaly installed by a landscaper who did a terrific job. He used Pennsylvania blue stone to complement our landscape.
Thanks,
Joyce
ps. how do you attach a picture to this site? When I click on attach it says error on page.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi Joyce,

You can post a photo that is smaller than 100KB (roughly 480dpi) as an attachment to the posting here in the forum. Or, you can post a larger photo (up to 1024dpi) in the Photo Gallery, where they are sorted by category.

I am looking forward seeing you pictures (and to spring), so let us know if you can make it work.
James

Old 04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Journeyman

Further to my post of 13 March, I shot a few snaps of my cabinet/counter brickwork using a friend's digital camera, which might better explain my setup.

The first shows the overall layout, with the brickwork dividing areas for (from left) sink/sink cupboard, bar fridge, ash pit, barbecue/wood storage and deep fryer with cupboard below. The slate pavers will extend into the bottom of all recesses after all the mess of building the oven and finishing the brick wall is completed. Only the sink, ash pit and fryer recesses will have door cabinetry installed.

The only work area will be above the fridge and perhaps a bit of the sink area. Hopefully this will be sufficient, except for pizza parties when we'll have to use an outdoor table for preparation.

I'm still deciding what sort of material to use for the doors. I'd prefer something rustic, but with so much stainless steel above the benchtop - sink, BBQ, overhead grill, range hood, fryer - I think I've successfully killed of any chance of a rustic appearance!

The second pic shows three granite samples which we're considering for the benchtop. The left one is 'Adelaide Black', a beautiful local granite which we've teamed up with European Beech cabinets in our recently renovated kitchen, and matches in well with the pavers and mortar joints. The middle one is called 'Outback Red' (which actually comes from Brazil) and has a remarkably similar shade of red to the brickwork, as well as flecks of charcoal grey. The right one fits in well with the rendered wall, and has both red and charcoal flecks through it.

Decisions, decisions!

The last pic shows the bench area situated at one end of the gazebo with oven behind.

Cheers, Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen cabinets-dsc_2909-low-res.jpg   Outdoor kitchen cabinets-dsc_2912-low-res.jpg   Outdoor kitchen cabinets-dsc_2913-low-res.jpg  

Last edited by Hendo; 04-01-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I was looking through my photos today, and found this. It is the early metal stud framing for our outdoor cabinets and counters. Thought you might find it interesting.
James
I can't tell from the photo James, are those standard 2x4 studs used for residential and commercial construction? Is that backer board attached to the backs and how did you finish this out?

I'm in the design phase right now for an outdoor kitchen remodel and would like a thinner alternative to cinder blocks. The oven will be covered with river rock and the cabinets with flagstone. I'm trying to reduce the overall depth of the cabinets from those in flagstone covered cinder block.

Can you tell me how material and labor costs compare between the stud construction and block construction?