Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Peasant

Default Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California

I was able to break ground this weekend on my outdoor kitchen. Here are a couple pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California-wp_20140120_003-1-.jpg   Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California-wp_20140119_006.jpg   Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California-untitled1.jpg   Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California-untitled.jpg   Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California-image_1.jpg  

Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Peasant

Default Test Link from http://n8sbar.servebeer.com

Here's a link to my blog http://n8sbar.servebeer.com
The content in this thread should be kept up to date, providing my blog works properly.

Last edited by n8huntsman; 01-22-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California

Looking good!!

I assume that the base for the pizza oven will be built straight on the ground with the deck surrounding it? It's going to be too heavy to be built directly on the deck.

Good luck! Will follow your thread!

Last edited by boerwarrior; 01-23-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Peasant

Yes, the foundation of the oven will be concrete. The deck is build on 2x6 joists so the foundation should be just about flush with the top of the deck.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Journeyman

Perfect! If you are going to keep your oven on the small side, mine is a 32 inch Pompeii and I have about the smallest possible base size you can get away with for this size oven. So take a look at my build if you are interested:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

With respect to construction of the base....I would STRONGLY suggest that you don't build your stand so that the wood storage is below the oven opening. I built mine that way (like almost everyone else) and really really dislike that aspect of the FB design for the stand.

I think it is no good for two reasons:
1. The space is so large under the oven that most of it is essentially unusable. Who wants to crawl five feet back into a spider infested cave to grab a piece of firewood?

2. Every time you rake coals out of the oven a few hot embers fall into the stored wood. no bueno.

A far better design in my opinion would be to make the stand into a sideways "H" ....(or any number of other possible configurations that would make a lot more sense than to have one small opening used to access a cavernous space.) That way you'd have smaller storage area on each side of the oven and wouldn't be dropping coals on to the wood storage.

Bill
ATK406 likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
With respect to construction of the base....I would STRONGLY suggest that you don't build your stand so that the wood storage is below the oven opening. I built mine that way (like almost everyone else) and really really dislike that aspect of the FB design for the stand.

I think it is no good for two reasons:
1. The space is so large under the oven that most of it is essentially unusable. Who wants to crawl five feet back into a spider infested cave to grab a piece of firewood?

2. Every time you rake coals out of the oven a few hot embers fall into the stored wood. no bueno.

A far better design in my opinion would be to make the stand into a sideways "H" ....(or any number of other possible configurations that would make a lot more sense than to have one small opening used to access a cavernous space.) That way you'd have smaller storage area on each side of the oven and wouldn't be dropping coals on to the wood storage.

Bill
Very good advice Bill!

There are plenty of great "alternatives" for the wood storage area that have been installed by users on this site that are not covered in the FB plans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Peasant

Very valid. Unfortunately with my design being in the corner of my yard, the opening must be on the same side as the oven opening. Maybe Ill build some sort of cart that can be pulled out so that I don't have to crawl in for the wood. I hate spiders.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 AM
Master Builder

That is a bit of irony. In this land the Huntsman is a common house spider, no danger to anything other than other insects and is well liked and tolerated by many people.

Everyone loves a huntsman!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Journeyman

With all respect to Bill and Gulf,

my wood storage area is directly under my oven and I have had no issues. I generally only rake my ash long after the embers are cold, and I have had no issues reaching down and back for wood.

However I am still in my early 50's. Maybe when I am in my 60's I will feel differently about crawling under there!

Neil