Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Serf

Default fly control in the outdoor kitchen

does anyone have any ideas for fly control while having pizza parties in the outdoor pizza kitchen / dining / living areas. during several pizza parties last year, the fly problem got disgusting. would like to do better in 2009. located in omaha nebraska away from the city on a small horse acreage.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Laborer

Default Re: fly control in the outdoor kitchen

we have some days when the fly's really get going, on those days I find it key to keep all the food covered as much as possible. We have some fans that we bring out as well. I've used some citronella stake candles which I think work (at least in my imagination)
Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Apprentice

Arrow Re: fly control in the outdoor kitchen

dfucinaro
I bought a bug and fly trap which worked OK just, and the other week I also got a commercial 60w 3 UV fluoro bug zapper which is mounted over and a little behind the pizza assembly area. We haven't had any fly problems to try them both out but will see how they go over the Easter break.

Rastys
Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Journeyman

RED PEPPER FLAKES (or cayenne pepper) scatter it on your deck sprinkle some every once in awhile your fire (while not cooking). it works. even works on fish docks.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Journeyman

I have one of these. Way big fun!
DealExtreme: $7.87 Electronic Bug Zapper Racket

Outdoors, I'll use on of those food tents.
Food Tents - Barbeque - Outdoor Entertaining - Outdoor Living - Improvements Catalog
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

We used to live near a horse area, and we would buy wasp parasites that lay their eggs on fly larvae. It seemed to keep the fly population down.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A bug zapper, cool!

Never seen one of those... Now I know what to give my husband for his birthday, I'll bet he could have hours of fun!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 AM

One thing (or one of many) I never got about Europe is that there are no window screens. I figured that the place was too classy to have flys.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

We rented a big old house outside Florence, and the previous renters were Americans who lived there while they renovated another house in the neighborhood.

And they had installed fly screens on all the windows (on their own nickel). What a luxury -- the mosquitoes were the biggest problem.

James

Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
One thing (or one of many) I never got about Europe is that there are no window screens. I figured that the place was too classy to have flys.
Har har! Sure, far too classy!

But its interesting that. No idea why it should be so...

Personally I think screens look ugly and would rather put up with the flies, but I'd be the first to admit thats a pretty stupid reason.

Does anyone know of some obscure historical fact about why Europeans don't have fly screens?