Old 07-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Apprentice

Default A Trip to Sorrento

Hi All...I am commissioning my bride to begin the planning process for the big 4-0 next year...which basically means I have to plan it, but she'll pay with her credit card which comes out of a joint account anywyay

We are planning to head to Campania for a week or so and are thinking about making Sorrento home base. I don't really want the hassle of packing/re-packing so we'd like to just stay in one place. Sorrento seemed a good place to hit Positano, Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri, etc.

We went to Italy on our honeymoon back in 1995 and it was a cruise...we only spent a short time in Sorrento, but enough time to eat at Pizzeria Aurora.

At any rate - does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations on lodging in Sorrento? We are thinking about Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria...has anyone ever stayed there??

Let me know what you think...

Jay
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: A Trip to Sorrento

Jay, I stayed in Sorrento for a couple of nights, but I don't have a clue what the name of the hotel was. Sorry I can't help you.

Me personally, I would stay in Positano. Certainly the most romantic village on the Amalfi Coast. It's harder to get to and from other areas, but what an awesome town!

George

-
Old 12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: A Trip to Sorrento

Jay,

Coincidentally my wife and I are planning a trip to Italy this summer for a significant milestone also. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and have decided to do so on the Amalfi coast. As of now we are likely to rent a villa rather than go the hotel route. Should that interest you I'd recommend going to Parker Villas for possible rentals. They have a wonderful color catalog you can order which makes the selection process easier. The catch is that most are houses large enough to accommodate 6-8 people, with few small ones of one or two bedrooms unless you are talking about an appartment.