Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Apprentice

Default Our trip to Tuscany

It's been over 8 months now since we made the trip, but organizing the photos took a back seat to everything else. We stayed at a small villa in Gaiole (Chianti) that actually had a WFO! I asked the caretaker if it was usable, and her best guess was that it hadn't been fired in over 50 years, but was probably a lot older than that. The villa itself was over 600 years old.

Unfortunately, she made me promise not to fire it up!
Attached Thumbnails
Our trip to Tuscany-dsc00393.jpg   Our trip to Tuscany-dsc00395.jpg   Our trip to Tuscany-dsc00400.jpg   Our trip to Tuscany-dsc00404.jpg   Our trip to Tuscany-dsc00412.jpg  

-- Yogi Berra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Our trip to Tuscany

I also saw these arch supports in a church in Lucca, and thought folks here would get a kick out of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Our trip to Tuscany-dsc00567.jpg   Our trip to Tuscany-dsc00568.jpg  

-- Yogi Berra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT62 View Post
Unfortunately, she made me promise not to fire it up!

What a crying shame!

Cool oven. I don't know about you, but my fingers would have been itching to fire that thing up every minute of the holiday....

Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Apprentice

Yeah it was tough to pass it up. Of course, going out to local trattorias and wineries did somewhat make up for it.

-- Yogi Berra

Old 01-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Master Builder

From what I could see from the pics, that oven looked in pretty good shape.

Where did it vent? or would the smoke simply spill out the front?

Sounds like a great trip!

Christo

Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Don't you love the old ovens. Some ares still operational, but quite a few have weeds growing in them. :-)

I'm sure I have said this before, but we know a family that has a house with an old oven, and they used to say that the cat went inside it one day -- and it never came back. Hah, hah.
James