Old 11-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Beers of the World

When I started building by WFO several months ago I kept the empty beer bottles that were cosumed during the build so that I could get an accurate record of "How many beers does it take to make a WFO?"

Beers of the World-21-soldier-course-cut.jpg

After a day at work there is nothing better to wash away the stress of the day to come home and lay a few bricks while drinking a cold beer. However to make it more challanging I now plan to have a beer from each state in Australia and each country in the world where you have built you own WFO.

To help me out please let me know where you are and provide me with a beer recomendation & I will see if it is available in Aus. So far the build has required the following beers.

Boag's (Tasmania)
Coopers (South Australia)
Pepperjack Ale (South Australia)
Barons Black Wattle (New South Wales)
Little Creatures (Western Australia)
Peroni (Italy)
Carona (Mexico)
Kirin (Japan)

Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 11-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Beers of the World

Paul,

I love your ambitions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Mike, What's your recomendation from Michigan? I traveled through Michigan in 1997 but didn't get as far north as you. We stayed a night in Kalamazoo and another at St Joseph. I remember a very nice summer evening in St Joseph in a restaurant over looking the lake & watching the sun set. I can't remember what we drank though!

Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Master Builder

Bell's brewery is in Kalamazoo, MI. It is a very good, reliable brewery. Initially a small microbrewery, they've now grown in size and reputation. Their Bell's Oberon is a perennial summer beer that is found everywhere in much of this area. A very good beer.

I also am a big fan of Dragonmead brewery, in Warren, MI. They have a great beer called Final Absolution, which is a Belgian style Trippel Ale. This is probably harder to get. Who knows now with the internet. The world has become small.

Michigan is also becoming a serious wine producing region.

Good Luck!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Paul, I will start off with a thud. I drink Coors - to me it is mothers milk. When I was young I could drink the "Banquet of beers". Now that I am older I have to drink the "Silver Bullet" (light beer). It's like tasty water but what the hey - I still have all my fingers.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Peasant

Hi Paul

Living on the Gold Coast, Queensland, I would recommend the Duke Pale Ale brewed by Burleigh Brewing Company. Full of flavour and very more-ish.

Cheers
Bill
Old 11-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Apprentice

I second the recommendation of Bell's from Kalamazoo! They have a great range of styles, and my favorite (from them) is Two-Hearted Ale. It has so many hops it's almost ridiculous, but it's not pasteurized, and likely not to be exported.

My build continues to rely on two beers: One of them is Guinness (I can't help myself). But as an Ami (as my German girlfriend calls me), I have to endorse the best hedonistic American beer of all: Rogue Brutal Bitter from Newport, Oregon. It practically lays bricks for you!

If you can't get it I'll try to send some your way.
Cheers,
Eric
Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Journeyman

Here in Bend Oregon, a town of about 80,000, we have on the order of 7 micro breweries. All produce fine beers (maybe it's the water?)

The largest is Deschutes Brewery with a long list of fine beers, and as they are the largest with the largest distribution, and most likely to be available outside the immediate area...

JED
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mmmmm Deschutes Black Butte porter is one of my favorites!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Serf

Hey Paul,

You might be cutting yourself short, why not do every county (more beers) I live in the hill of northern California and brew my own home brew. Our local brewery Sierra Nevada, Chico California, they have a good pale ale which is sold world wide