Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Journeyman

Default Homemade Rosemary Crackers

I found this recipe over on Chowhound a few months ago, and haven't bought crackers since. The recipe is so simple, so completely delicious. The crackers are easy to make days ahead of time, and would be a fabulous appetizer to set out while people are waiting for pizzas.

Rosemary Crackers
from krissywats on chowhound.com's Home Cooking board

2 Cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 Cup warm water
1/3 cup olive oil

Preheat to 400. Lightly grease two large cookie sheets (I use spray). Combine flour, baking powder and salt (I use a little extra of kosher or sea salt). Stir in water, oil and mix until a smooth dough forms. Halve dough and flatten to edges on each cookie sheet (this is the only part that takes a little time - a small rolling pin would be great but I use my fingers and love the uneven texture of them). Cut them on the sheet before baking (I use a pizza cutter).

If you want you can do an egg wash of one egg white and 2T water brush the tops and sprinkle on sesame seeds.

I typically throw in a bunch of chopped rosemary and occasionally a sprinkle of garlic powder or two. You could really do anything you wanted with these: onion powder, cayenne, other herbs and spices.

They are a simple cracker but seriously addictive and always a big hit. Once I topped with goat cheese and honey and served as an appetizer.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Homemade Rosemary Crackers

Thanks, I will give them a try.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Apprentice

We tried this tonight, altered it a bit 50/50 whole wheat, three batches, one with parmeasan cheese, one with kosher salt, one with garlic salt. Simple and delightful!

THANKS!

Malinda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Journeyman

Whoops--I forgot to write that they'll typically cook for about 10-12 minutes. Watch for golden and crispy. Glad you liked the recipe as much as I do! Parmesan is one of my favorite variations, too.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Master Builder

Tried these tonight - they're excellent!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Master Builder

Did you make these in your WFO or conventional?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Master Builder

Just a conventional oven this time, but I'll have to experiment with them in the WFO. They took about 14-18 minutes in my gas convection oven at 400 degrees.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This sounds really great - any pics available? I am having difficulty visualising the shaping and cutting process.

Also, do you add Rosemary to the dough? This wasn't mentioned in the ingredients list.

Tks - very keen to try this one...

Rossco
Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Master Builder

Yep, add the chopped rosemary right into the dough. You can sprinkle parmesan or salt on top after spreading it out if you want to. The dough gets spread pretty thin (probably around 1/16-3/32 of an inch), but it won't stick to your fingers.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks - makes sense now!!

Rossco