Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Appetizers

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Grape Leaves Wrapped Feta in WFO

I apologize for not having a good pic. I can't wait to make this again ASAP and will post pics:

A year ago, the LA Times had a blurb in the food section about using various leaves to wrap chunks of cheese for grilling. That's all it said, no more detail than "try grape leaves, fig or avocado", something like that.

Last saturday, I fired up the WFO for a rib roast and appetizers. I picked a dozen grape leaves from my 2 vines, (I went for the younger leaves, but old enough that they were small "palm-size") rinsed & dried them, put a 1/2" cube or wedge of goat cheese in half and brie in the other, added a grind of pepper & a 2" sprig of my garden oregano, half sticking out, and folded them up and skewered with a toothpick. Some folded nicely, some didn't. Didn't matter.

They were not folded like "dolmas", because the grape leaves are raw, fresh so they were spiky and a bit loose but I had all the cheese covered or wrapped, then put the Tuscan Grill in the WFO with coals under it for a few minutes, drizzled a few ounces of olive oil on the wrapped, tooth-picked folded grape leaves and put them on the grill for about 10 minutes.

I saw cheese oozing out and blackened leaves and removed them to a serving plate. They were 60% blackened/charred, 40% still green. I wasn't sure how to serve them, (I thought: open up the little 'wraps' and eat the goey cheese?) but NO; guest grabbed the toothpick with the slightly blackened wrapped leaves and cheese chunks and put the whole thing in their mouths pulled the toothpick thru their lips. You could hear the crispy snap of chard grape leaf in the month as it gave way to the lemony greenish flavors of the grape leaves and creamy cheese. The singed oregano gave a wonderful herby flavor too.

In the next few weeks, I'll do it again (with pics) and use feta cheese instead because the oregano and 'lemony-ness' of the grape leaves screamed for a saltier, firmer cheese than the goat cheese I used.

Please try it, I think you'll find it was easy and delicious.

-Dino
buckeyebreadman likes this.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Grape Leaves Wrapped Feta in WFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
grabbed the toothpick with the slightly blackened wrapped leaves and cheese chunks and put the whole thing in their mouths
Dino, were the pieces around 2 inches in size? I am trying to envision this - the size seems like eating a slice of Sushi? If that is the case, it sounds delicious and manageable. Thanks for another thing to try...

Edit!! I re-read the post and I have another question. How much wine did you serve before this event occured? ;-)

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 06-02-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
How much wine did you serve before this event occured? ;-)
That's funny Les'
Dino, I hope this recipe can be done with the small wild grape leaves that we have down here. If not we'll serve it up with beer . That'll do it .
buckeyebreadman likes this.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ha, you guys are funny. Les, what makes you think wine was involved? We actually had it with a Santa Barbara Viognier.

Gulf, If you're talking about some of the wild concord vines that pop up from birds scattering seeds, they should be fine. Even though they are smaller, they don't have long "fingers" (spiky toothes?) that might add too much leaf to fold up, so it might work.

Les, the cheese was about 1/2" square and 1/4"+ thick. After wrapping they were about the size of a match box with a toothpick thru it. So yes, a small piece of "sushi". I used the thicker fancier toothpicks that are more rigid and come in a small plastic container. Otherwise you might have to soak them in water first.

I'm going to try it on my bbq grill this week and post a pic.

My Oven Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Ha, you guys are funny......Gulf, If you're talking about some of the wild concord vines that pop up from birds scattering seeds, they should be fine. Even though they are smaller, they don't have long "fingers" (spiky toothes?) that might add too much leaf to fold up, so it might work
They may be scattered by bird droppings (not sure) , but ours are called scupanine, muscadine, and vullis grapes. Most leafs are about 1 and 3/4". A few of us have learned to use the hardwood (old growth) part of the vine as a smoking wood. I'm looking forward to trying the leaf as a wrap or seasoning as we do the local bay leaf.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Ha, you guys are funny. Les, what makes you think wine was involved? We actually had it with a Santa Barbara Viognier.
Thank god you didn't break out the gazillion dollar bottle like when you broke in your oven The selection is much more in line with leaves and cheese...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Master Builder

A cheese that holds its shape, although not big on flavour as it tends to absorb other flavours, is halloumi......once it comes out drizzle with lemon......ahhhhhh also great with spit roast lamb and rustic bread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damon, halloumi sounds like a perfect choice. I'll have to remember that.

Les: my make-shift oven door is truly crumbling now and I've been avoiding building a real oven door (which everyone else on this forum seem to have no problem making but I find it quite difficult) and I'm saving one of my few Opus' for that milestone.

By the time I get to a proper door for the side-storage compartment, I'll be celebrating with 2-$buck-Chuck .

My Oven Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is pic of the grape leaves and squares of cheese I used to make grilled grapeleaves:

And here I'm about to drizzle a litte olive oil on all the packets. Notice how irregular each is. It doesn't matter that they are not perfect square packets. I think it's better this way.

And 5 minutes later:

I used long metal tongs to turn a couple while cooking but in the oven dome, the tops cook as fast as the bottoms. Just the outside is charred, and we eat the whole thing. I put a grind of pepper on each chunk of cheese and a sprig of fresh oregano.

My Oven Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Serf

that is the exact same cast iron stand i need for the inside of my pizza oven but im finding hard to source it......