Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Master Builder

Default What to do with leftover bits of brick?

Any thoughts on what to do with the piles of chopped-up firebrick I have left over from my oven build? And the fireclay? I hate to throw it all in the landfill, but I can't imagine what else can be done with it. It's mostly small triangle- or wedge-shaped bits, and a few buckets of brick powder from the cutting process, all taking up room in my garage....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: What to do with leftover bits of brick?

Yep you posted in the right area. Put a call out to other builders in the area. Oh, I think you are the only one. Got any plans for other projects? If you are pouring concrete anywhere else you can use the stuff as filler. When my dad needed ot make some steps to an addition of the house he put in all sorts of stuff so that less concrete would be needed. I think he called it disparative binders.

In my hood we have 3 cans one for green waste one for grey waste and one for recycling. The haulers had about 10 community meetings last year to define what recycling is. Paper, wood, building material. OHH AHH BABY. Jackpot!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post
I hate to throw it all in the landfill.
Toss it who knows what it might morph into after a few million years, under pressure, mixed with egg shells and potato peels.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Toss it who knows what it might morph into after a few million years, under pressure, mixed with egg shells and potato peels.
Compost! (but be REALLY patient)

I dumped my fireclay in the woods and pitched the scrap bricks in the garbage (a little each week so it wouldn't break the poor garbage man's back).

I couldn't think of anything to do with them.

Updated!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
(a little each week so it wouldn't break the poor garbage man's back)
That's what I was thinking! This could take a while....

Old 10-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Journeyman

Maybe someone on the forum can take it off your hands. I was the happy inheiritor of George's leftovers.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Journeyman

I'm going to use mine to cobble together my daughter's miniature pizza oven. She'll only bake mud pizzas in it, but she still wants it to look as much like mine as possible.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A bit off topic here, but your comment reminded me, Nikki: my kids currently build pizza ovens out of whatever they have to hand.

Building blocks, play dough, stones, lego, an upturned bowl in the dolls house... no game is ever complete without a pizza oven.

I can't think of anything you could do with your leftovers either, although it seems a pity to throw them out.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post
Originally Posted by Ken524
(a little each week so it wouldn't break the poor garbage man's back)

That's what I was thinking! This could take a while....
Sort of like the Shawshank Redemption. Just a little at a time (I guess you had to have seen the movie!)

Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
Sort of like the Shawshank Redemption. Just a little at a time (I guess you had to have seen the movie!)
I did - great analogy!