Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Topsy Turvy Tomatoes in Kentucky

I just couldn't resist the "As Seen On TV" logo and purchased three Topsy-Turvy tomato planters and one strawberry planter. If you aren't familiar with these, here is the website:
Topsy Turvy Planters

The planters get mixed reviews on the web. I was looking at one in Home Depot today and a nice old lady came up to me and told me how wonderful they are and that she'll never plant tomatoes in the ground again. OK, so I bought three

I planted 2 Roma tomatoes and one "Health Kick Tomato" hybrid (it looks like a variety of Roma).

If you all are interested, I'll keep you up-to-date on my experiment.
Attached Thumbnails
Topsy Turvy Tomatoes in Kentucky-topsy-turvy.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Topsy Turvy Tomatoes in Kentucky

Absolutely Ken! I've been eying them myself at home-depot too. I'm too busy to do it so I'm curious how yours will turn out.
I've had soil born diseases in my vegi garden and I can't get myself to let it rest a season and I really can't rotate to much being city-dweller whose yard is half-pool, half pizza oven (kidding). I've been wanting to try those hanging things to see how good a crop they get. Keep us posted and good luck, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Laborer

Hey Ken,
I tried the Topsy Turvy last year and produced one tomato. I little disappointing to say the least. I think my problem was bad soil. I used some potting soil from a local farm store and it looked more like mulch than potting soil. I am going to try it again this year with some proper soil and hope for better results. Hope your results are better than mine last year. Good Luck.

Craig
Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Craig,
I used Miracle Grow potting soil and have (so far) kept them moist. We'll see how it goes, err GROWS!

Updated!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm trying the same idea using old vinegar jugs (white vinegar is awesome stuff). Advantage one, you can see the dry spots. It is also pretty obvious that you have to do some serious watering.

How are yours doing, Ken?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
How are yours doing, Ken?
So far so good... We just plowed up a small garden this week. I'm going to put a few tomatoes in the ground for back up.

Updated!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Apprentice

TT Alternative:

I work in a grocery store and most bakeries will have 4- 41\2 gallon buckets, go and nicely ask for a couple and they most likley will give them to you. Make sure they have metal handles, the plastic ones will not last into the next year. Copy the TT design and ta da!! tomato and pepper growing machines.

Derk
Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great idea! Also, if you cut the holes in the sides you have strawberry planters.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Laborer

How are the tomatoes Ken? Any blooms yet? How is the Topsy Turvy tomatoe comparing to the ones in the ground?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't have time to post any pics today. I'm heading out of town tomorrow for a week so I'll post some photos when I get home. The Topsy-Turvy's are doing very well. One of the plants has about a half dozen blooms on it. I've been watering daily and fertilizing weekly.

My "control" crop was just planted in the garden last week and I've ignored them so they are small and scrawny; I'm a lousy scientist.

Updated!