Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Temperatures - for the record

I wanted to document my temps, when I get asked, I never remember all the numbers.

Saturday at 6:30 PM after the fire; hearth=900 deg.
Saturday at 8:00 PM after pizzas; hearth=555 deg.
Sunday at 9:00 AM hearth=447 deg. - cooked a coffee cake
Sunday at 4:30 PM hearth=374 deg. - cooked coconut shrimp
Monday at 6:30 AM hearth=288 deg.
Monday at 4:45 PM hearth=244 deg.
Tuesday at 4:45 PM hearth=170 deg.

As you can tell, we didn't do much cooking, but the oven appears to be retaining heat fairly well (I think).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 03-26-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Temperatures - for the record

Very nice Les. Thanks, that's a good record. We should all do more Tuscan white beans. :-)
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

That's very close to my oven's retained heat loss. Amazing how similar our ovens can be.

Updated!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very much like mine as well...I have about an extra inch of mass in the dome. Do you guys have any extra mass in the dome?

Be warned, you can hurt yourself trying to use all that heat...no way a family of four can eat all the food that will cook in a single firing...even if you eat it all week!

Drake

Old 04-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No extra mass on mine. I don't have a drop of mortar on the outside of my dome. Just lots of insulation .

Updated!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I probably added around 1/2 inch of mortar. I recall your's being extreamly clean Ken - was a shame to cover it up.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 01-19-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I recall your's being extremely clean Ken - was a shame to cover it up.
I always have the inside of the dome to enjoy! (that's the best part anyway)

Updated!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Apprentice

But how cold was it outside? The outside air temp will be a factor in the oven cooling as well....
Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Only to a degree. The small part of the oven that sees the colder outside temperature is the oven opening, which is small. The main volume of the oven is well insulated -- and all the insulation that keeps the heat inside, also keeps the cold outside.
James