Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Peasant

Default Never Say No To Free Brick

Picked up about 200 of these tapered regular red bricks...I think I will use them for some arches when I build the permanent oven.Any way they were free and free is good on my book.I had not seen tapered red bricks before,so I will try and be creative with them...I wish they had been fire bricks but beggars can't be choosy.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Never Say No To Free Brick

Well done matey :-)
Nothing better than scoring stuff for free ! Goodluck with creating something out of them .
Cheers Lee
Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Never Say No To Free Brick

castiron,
they look fine for cutting and building your dome.
And you have enough to build a 40" Pompeii to boot, especially as they look look they are fired clay bricks.
I personally would build one with them.
Check out Russell Jeavon's book as his ovens are built with them without problems!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Peasant

I have a refactory close to where I live and aquired about 400 of those firebrick. Mine are a spotted yellowish and new. I got to know the forman of the yard and he has set me up with tons of brick in various shapes. (All the brick are not sold or used anymore) I built my pompei with the arched brick, cut into 3 equal pieces. It worked great. I didn't have to use any mortar for the first few rows because they were a good tapered fit.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Journeyman

Where did you get the brick?

Joe
Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Serf

Unhappy Re: Never Say No To Free Brick

Joe I had to use my wifes log in , having trouble with mine again. I got the brick at a local refactory about 25 miles from where I live. I have found out that it seems to work fine for the walls and dome but not for the floor, It can't take the thermal shock or I am not firing my oven right. I also got some large flat pieces about 20x22 and used this for the floor and everywhere I moved the fire itcracked the floor big time. I am now trying some fire place brick to go over these pieces.