Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Movies about Cooking Julie & Julia

I just saw Julie & Julie and it’s one of the best “food-movies” I’ve seen. After seeing it we pulled out our 4 Julie Child books, found Boeuf Bourguignon, bought all the ingredients and did a big Saturday afternoon “cooking day”. Next time we'll try it in the Pizza Oven the day after firing.

BTW as far as “food-movies” go, I like the animated Ratatouille. Who knew a cartoon could be filled with so much serious cooking. But my all time favorite and recommended for any foodie (especially if you enjoy famous chef restaurants and cooking from their books) is Last Holiday with Queen Latifah. They really portrayed her well as a gourmet food lover and the scenes in the fancy restaurant with the beautiful food are great. The chefs reaction to her versus other people who don’t appreciate gourmet cooking is priceless. I have friends who would go to the French Laundry and have Thomas Keller rearrange his most famous dishes like they were ordering at their favorite deli. They probably would not get the humor in this movie. Cheers to all who love to eat, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Movies about Cooking Julie & Julia

I have never seen Last Holiday, but I really like Queen Latifah. I have heard that Julie and Julia is great, I will have to go see that.

For food movies I love Big Night, Babbette's Feast, and probably my all time favorite, Tampopo. If you can watch Tampopo and not go out in search of noodles...you are dead inside.

Drake

Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Apprentice

Mostly Martha, Bella Martha (2001), is a fantastic German language food movie--you completely forget you are reading subtitles after 10 minutes. It has some amazing kitchen scenes. (I'm no foreign movie snob--Ratatouille is easily my favorite food movie.)
Old 08-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Apprentice

We saw the movie yesterday it was funny, educational and inspiring. I just went downstairs and went digging through Phil’s text and cookbooks from when he was training to be a chef.

I found Mastering the art of French Cooking volume one and two and Larousse Gastronmique (mentioned and shown in the movie) I think we will be getting inspiration from these volumes in the months and years to come

Malinda

Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Apprentice

Inevitably, newspapers will take an event like the Julie & Julia movie and create a list of similar ones. Debate, anyone?

Measuring up Julie & Julia - The Globe and Mail