Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson

Hi all,
it is with sincere regret but with some sort of simple pleasure to post a new thread as a memorial to Hendo; Paul Henderson, who passed away recently after 14 years fighting the incideous disease, cancer.
Please refer to:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...very-3568.html

for the preceeding thread and comments but I felt a need for something a little more special.
I have contacted his family and visited them today where I received the photograph of Paul.
Paul went to an incredible amount of detail in planning not only his beloved Pompeii oven , but also the entire entertainment area which is planned to include a barbeque, a deep fryer (may be omitted even though it is in a box on the property), a sink, fridge, granite benchtops and a very tastefully built patio.
I also met and worked with his brickie, Dallas, and we cut and closed the last two courses and the keystone bricks for his oven dome. We plan to get into the remaining brickwork, the walls of the patio, back of kitchen workbench and utilities and oven walls in 10 days and have the area finished in around a month or two at the maximum.
Paul's attention to detail is reflected in the quality of the brick cutting and the build as the attached pictures show.
We hope to continue Paul's dream to completion, even though his home is an hours drive across town for me to travel each way non peak traffic.

Regards.

Neill

PS. A late picture of Paul, his oven and the closing stages!
Attached Thumbnails
A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson-paul-hendo.jpg   A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson-last-course-web.jpg   A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson-key-block-web.jpg   A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson-inside-dome-web.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nissanneill; 04-23-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Missed information.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson

Although I was not on the forum while Hendo was posting I can imagine the quality of his contributions from the responses on the other thread. I'm sure his family will be pleased that his work will be finished. Thanks to Neill and all those involved. Perhaps it may be possible to include something from FB members in tribute.............maybe a bench or some such thing. I would be more than happy to contribute.

Inishta.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Journeyman

It's been said that life is fragile. Too easy can a light be snuffed out. Too quickly can a voice be silenced. We have all witnessed this. Some too closely.
Our mortal life has been compared to an eggshell. Fragile. Be careful with it. Don't squeeze it too hard.
Just like the eggshell, we learned early on, our life can also be strong, resilient and long lasting if we approach it correctly. Our friend, Paul learned it too.
He turned his eggshell sideways and when life pushed him, he pushed back.
Fourteen years is a long time. Comparatively, not even a tick on the Master Clock, but an eternity when you suffer. Despite his pain, Paul must have had a pretty good reason to stick around so long. We all can surmise what that might be. Was it the oven project that kept his head in the game or merely the natural human curiosity of what's around the next corner? Could be.
A clutch of nested eggs lie on their side, each exposing their weakest and most vulnerable side. They depend on each other for support.
To live a life with the support of a loving family is a life well used. And that is reason enough.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

It is a wonder how something as ephemeral as our group can leave such an honest and physical sadness. Neill, thank you for everything you are doing; I wish could all do more.

Paul, I so glad we were able to spend time together.
James

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Let us not only remember Paul as a human being having been special to many, and contributing special views to people around him, but to use that lesson as well. I feel that it is in the passing of special people that we realize their true worth, but we must also learn and realize that our days our not over, that the lives of those close to us (family and friends) may not be over either. I say this because I look at my own children and family as they grow, begging to learn, laugh, and share their experiences. We must not forget this either. It is important to laugh, and to smile at the lives around us, and with those that have passed. Do not be sad for Paul's death, be happy he lived, and that he lived a great life shared by those lucky enough to know him. And don't forget, if you have family and friends, contribute those views towards them.
Acoma.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 04-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

True Robert...the 4 L's

Live, Love, Learn and leave a Legacy....

Thanks Hendo.....

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson

James,
as a token of 'our' appreciation, I was going to make a cast brass plaque to be placed on the oven in respect of Paul and the contribution that this forum has made to Paul. The approx size and type placed around crematoriums or cemetries. I know that this forum made the world to him.
I need some assistance in wording it but have some time to get it all happening. Can you (or in fact anyone else for that matter), put some thought to suitable words.
I will prepare the artwork and post it for comment and approval, make the pattern, have it cast, finish it and mount it.

Neill

PS. I got a message from his brickie, and he is unable to work on the planned weekend but we will be there the following one. The oven, outdoor kitchen and patio will be completed used and appreciated by Pauls family and friends. His wife Margaret, is already planning the first get together for a pizza night.

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson

[ATTACH]Paul's plaque.pdf[/ATTACH]Hi all.
I have been thinking about the wording for the intended plaque for Pauls oven and have come up with 'draft 1'
Consider it and please feel free to comment as I would like it to be most appropriate for the occasion.
Obviously the date will change for the inaugural first cook-up to 'officially launch' the area.

This oven and outdoor kitchen
is dedicated to
PAUL HENDERSON
through his inspiration from the
Forno Bravo Forum
and itís members.
June 2008.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson-pauls-plaque.jpg  

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Last edited by nissanneill; 07-12-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neill,

Good job on the plaque. One small editorial suggestion: should read its members, not it's (it is) members. You might consider this: through his inspiration from and to the Forno Bravo Forum and its members. His innovations live on.

Jim

Last edited by CanuckJim; 04-24-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: More stuff
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Neill,

Can we set up a PayPal "fund" where we can forward small amounts to help fund finishing the oven and the plaque? PayPal will put the money in your hands and we can donate from any currency. Perhaps we could set a target and open it up to contributions.

What do you think?
James