Old 04-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Looking for inspiration

Curently putting plans for a Pompeii oven into construction and planning to cast 2 swing and insulated cast iron doors. Being so impessed with this site, thought that I would incorporate the Forno Bravo logo and give them recognition of my enthusiasm. I have another member interested in this project as well. Maybe others could contribute
I have reset the artwork (although I did letterspace it a little) and plan on making a pattern to be incorporated into the door pattern or to cast it in brass (or bronze) and screw it onto the doors. The final style and decoration of the doors is what I am looking for inspiration in.
Attached is a scan of my initial sketches. The final cross section of the doors will be dependent upon the foundry and their preferences.
What would fellow members like to see included on a custom door for your beloved oven?
Pattern(s) on he raised perimeter frame?
Images or characters (as or similar to the Forno Bravo logo?
Unveiling plaque?
I am open to suggestions.
Regards.
Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for inspiration-door-sketch-scan.jpg   Looking for inspiration-plate-logo.jpg  

Last edited by nissanneill; 04-29-2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: missed .pdf file and spelling mistake
Old 04-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Looking for inspiration

Neill,

This is a very ambitious and super plan/idea. Would it be worthwhile, do you think, to add sliding sections at the base of each door that you could open for draft control? That might give the doors more versatility.

Jim
Old 04-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Looking for inspiration

Jim,
I have thought of this and discussed it with a couple of people and to get a draught going in an oven, we also need to ensure that there is a flow of air, not only into but also out of the oven. Another member of the forum had a door made with a draught control but needed to leave the door ajar to allow for the draught to occur. It would be very easy to mount a 100mm diameter metal disk near the bottom of a door and then drill some half inch holes in a semicircular pattern around the centre pivot point through both the disk and door. The draught control is very easily adjusted simply by rotating the diskand exposing as many holes as required. I suppose, the same could be incorporated at the top with a simple metal rod to connect the two so as to balance the draught, (expose 2 holes at the bottom and open 2 holes at the top) what is allowed in is also allowed to escape.
Simply leaving one door slightly ajar would do the same thing though.
What do you think?

Neill
Old 04-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neill,

Perhaps you should have a look at the photos of the combination door the blacksmith Lloyd Johnston made for me. They're in the photo gallery. His design allows for the top of the door to be leaned forward to the front of the vent in draft mode.

The problem with the holes at the top idea is that you wouldn't have enough exhaust, given the fact that you use it during full burn. The holes at the bottom would work fine, because you really don't need all that much area for air going in. It's the exit where the volume occurs.

Jim
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey, take a look at my cast door....I've been very happy with it.

The bottom has a damper opening that has two sliding plates to give a lot of control. It also has an upper peep hole with a sliding disc. This will be used to inject water for steam.

When you're firing up you can go without the door but I usually just open the dampers fully. Later on I usually close one side of the damper and even cut back the chimney damper to half setting to hold heat and smoke in.

What I like about the setup is that you can control the fire with the door dampers pretty well and the rush of air works well to keep the fire burning.

Might give you some ideas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This might be easier to use

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/f...rno+bravo+door (Forno Bravo Door)

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 AM

When I used a Vermont casting stove, which had double front doors like that, I just left the door open half an inch, and it created an air jet that worked like the draft doors. I didn't have to vent out the front, though.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks guys,
I will go back to the drawing board and incorporate some sliding draught controlling devices both in the bottom and top of the door(s). This should be relatively easy but will need to screw some locating guides onto the doors to allow the plate to slide.
I will go and have a chat to the foundry this week and start making the patterns over the weekend (poor weather permitting: only when it is raining othewrwise will be digging foundations for the oven).
I hadn't thought of having to spray water into the oven to raise the moisture level but when I get closer to that point I will continue to find out.
What about decoration of the oven?
I don't like boring old plain things including oven doors! Would rather have some pattern or decoration on them.

Neill
Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Only your imagination can stop you on decoration. Check out Robert Musa's oven, not boring.

Kill Da Wabbit

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Just a sketch, but think about a sector vent, with a matching shutter. I assume you'ld want the top and the bottom vents open at the same time.

The old stove builders used a lot of these, but not with such wide spread sectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for inspiration-ovendoor.jpg