Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Forest pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-11-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Forest pics.

Tepee?

Don't see to many Indians in Australia but I hear there is a lot back your old country (UK) but they are the curry type not the tepee type I suppose.

That is not a tepee it is a drying stack of wood ready for the next trip out by a hunter or fisherman, standing it up like that is the quickest way to get it dry preventing it rotting on the ground.
We always did that when we were out bush, if we didn't get to use it, then the next bloke could and then would replace it with whatever he found around.
I don't see it lasting 200 years.

WD
Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
For what its worth, there was a dug out on the ground within the bundle of sticks, bit elaborate just to dry sticks I would imagine?

Also, Ive seen the same type of timbers still embedded in the ground from the goldrush era, 1850 to 1880, that are still in good nick so 200 years is very plausible.

Edit:-
I cant see what a persons race has to do with it at all, a tepee is a tepee.
I brought back some fire wood from the same area, same day, it had rained during the week, the fire wood is burning in my heater as I type so I hardly think its a drying technique.
AL,

Well you know for sure that you don't have to be an eskimo to own an igloo!
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Peasant

A tepee is a term not common to Australia, so if you were thinking that our indegenous cousins made them then you have a vivid imagination, even the Chinese gold diggers were more advanced they mainley had tents.

Our indegenous folk build humpies / bark huts not at all like a tepees.

As I said stacking small logs up like that was something that we did so that there would be good dry wood for your next return.

Years ago when I used to go dear hunting (samba dear) up in the high country we would go in the summer with fourwheel drives and set up spots where we could camp in winter time leaving a stash of tucker (tins of food) and a bottle or two of port. Then in winter time we would go back in on horse back as that was the only way you could get across those swollen creeks and rivers of course you could not take much with you, your rifle and ammo a bit of tucker but certainley no chainsaws etc. plus you needed to allow for the dear as well on the return trip.
Stacking that light timber up like that was our way of keeping it dry, when it rains like hell and the timber is laying in mud it does not give you much of a chance of lighting a well neaded fire.

We also used the same method for when chasing Murray crays the best time was when the rivers were full and braking their banks, we would go in months before when it was dry and accessible by fourwheel drive and do the same thing take in a load of timber, some tucker and grog sometimes leaving the copper boiler stuck up a tree. Then later when it was the right time we would go back down the river in our punts to where the camp was set up and go craying.

The good old days, I wish it was like that now so everybody had a chance to do it, but over fishing and dickhead dear hunters with their bloody dogs have buggered it up for evryone else.

Anyway enough rambling, that is the way I see it.

WD

Edit, by the way I hope you have a permit for taking firewood out of a state forest, there are bloody big finds if you get caught.

Last edited by Wild Duck; 06-09-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Peasant

It is not about your pics it's about your missleading interpretation of what you take pics of.
as for having Aboriginal friends I grew up with them while you were still in the fog mate.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 AM
Peasant

My point made, moved on,

WD

Last edited by Wild Duck; 06-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I found this thread bloody interesting!
But can you two stop bickering. You both tell a good yarn about the bush I'm sure theres more out there who would like to hear more bush yarns.
"The truth should never get in the way of a good tale" so use that as a guiding principle, and just let everyone wonder if they have been told a porky or not.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Post away! ( ha that rhymes good enough for a bit of bush poerty?)
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Master Builder

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm wrong most of the time. Wasn't it Wild Duck, whom first post was that of the forum police? Is he now the authority of all things Ozzie? Does moved on means that he quit the forum?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm wrong most of the time. Wasn't it Wild Duck, whom first post was that of the forum police? Is he now the authority of all things Ozzie? Does moved on means that he quit the forum?
Not likely,

I made my point and moved on.

You see there are people like you who don't do their homework before they open their trap, we are not Ozzies (Oz is a term made up in England some 40 years ago) that is probably why Brickie refers to himself as Oz because he comes from England, we are Aussies short for Australian.

I am not an authority of all things Ozzie but I have lived and worked in outback Australia for 60 plus years I have shorn sheep from SA to QLD mustered cattle and sheep and rounded up brumbies from Vic to the Territory, so I suppose I might know a bit about the Aussie country.

WD

Last edited by Wild Duck; 06-10-2013 at 06:47 PM.