Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Favorite Christmas presents

Welcome back to the new year everyone. May the new year be a little better than the previous one. :-)

I received a couple of oven-related presents from Santa that are great -- including a Global bread knife (from Japan), Peter Reinhart's "Whole Grain Bread" book and a long cutting board for baguettes. I guess Santa knows what I like.

We baked and baked the whole holiday season, and had a blast. I might be upping my commitment -- no store bread plus no store pastry this year.

Auguri,
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Favorite Christmas presents

My favorite gift was a digital scale! Now the magic of the 'Bakers Percentage' will be open to me! I am looking forward to adding a bit of accuracy to my baking. So far it has been mostly guess work..

JED
Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Christmas presents

The best thing that I got was the reaction from my 18 month old grand daughter trying to push her new pram around with her new dolly whilst I am trying to assemble the axles and wheels. Building an oven was a breeze to that, but unforgettable.
I bought myself the new mixer as it was tooooo heaveeeey for Santa!
I can hardly lift it to seat the new bench top but is now installed and doesn't need moving!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Journeyman

Drew got me the basic peel/brush set, and meticulously wrapped each one in form-fitting wrapping paper. He then hid the set in the hall closet and made a little scavenger hunt for me on Christmas morning. There's really no hiding what they were, so I loved that he had fun with it. And I got my tools just in time for the first big oven firing!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got to spend Christmas with the twin grandchildren....hard to beat that!

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Christmas presents

Jim,
ain't they grand!!!!
BUT, I recon I can almost beat it. We had our two grandchildren (I have twin daughters but not grandchildren) and were informed of a new grandchild on the way. We will then have four for next Christmas!.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I really like the instant-read Thermopen Santa brought me. But I must admit, my favorite present is an iPod interface for our Honda Odyssey. I'm in music heaven now!

Updated!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Master Builder

I got the Tuscan grill and the long oven mitts, both from Forno Bravo, of course! I'm very excited. I'm happy my family pays attention to my not to subtle hints!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got Whole Grain Breads, the Hamelman bread book, a turning peel, a brass brush, and an IR thermometer! AND I found out I know someone who does welding, so I can get him to make me a door that doesn't fall apart! I've been reduced to baking indoors due to pulling one of my handles through the door front (oops) and the fact that apparently southwestern Virginia is now in monsoon season. I think I'm starting to mildew...

I love the Whole Grain Breads book. I started with the 100% sandwich bread, and my stepdaughter was eating it in preference to the levain from Hamelman! Today I have the broom bread and the 50% rye bread started, along with the rye I've been making. Reinhart's will have to be pretty good to get me to make the switch- I really like the one I've been making.

The IR thermometer is fabulous! If it ever stops raining, I'm looking forward to being able to check the floor temp before I incinerate my bread!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got this. I think my wife was worried about the potential calorie increase after the oven was done. It's OK, I got her one as well - must have had the same fears.

Oh yea, mine is the black one...
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite Christmas presents-bikes-002.jpg   Favorite Christmas presents-bikes-003.jpg  

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.