Old 04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Master Builder

Default Expand your Lexicon

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/....html#post9651 (Soot on outside arch bricks)

And just how many Americans under 40 ran to their dictionary (oh wait punched in on their computer) to find the meaning of Habidashery?

Put that up there with bumbershoot
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Expand your Lexicon

JE,

My hat's off to you! I stayed in Oxford for two summers quite a few years ago now. On Turl Street there was a shop run by two elderly gentlemen, brothers I believe. One of them made men's shoes, only to order and only after an interview for a foot measurement and to see if you were the proper sort. The other made split cane fly rods, only to order and only after an interview, etc., etc. On London's New Oxford Street, there's a shop that's been in business since the dawn of time making only bumbershoots and walking canes. You can buy a cane with a built in flask (they don't do swords any more) and a huge umbrella made from whatever exotic materials your credit card limit allows. Interview mandatory. The haberdashers are mainly on Jermyn Street.

Jim
Old 05-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Master Builder

Neill has provided us with our next word for the lexicon.

In the early 90's My parents decided to spend a bit of their kids inheritance. They invited the children to join them in spending their inheritance. All we had to do was pay airfare and they would pick up the rest. I was the only one of four that took them up on their offer. In my book I went with my parents to spend my sister's inheritance. 2.5 weeks in the Land of Oz and 2.5 weeks in Aotearoa. Down in Dunedin on the Bushy Ranch I got my fill of fresh lamb!

Back to Neill's Auz Slang (Russell Jeavon's Pizza Restaurant - South Australia). Today's word is - tucker, an Australian word for food in general

Last edited by jengineer; 05-04-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Very good Patrick. Thanks. Isn't learning new words supposed to help fend off senility.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.