Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Apprentice

Default Electrolux DLX mixer - review

I wanted to post a quick review of my new mixer. I recently purchased an Electrolux DLX mixer for approx $500. The mixer I have used for years is a KA from the early '80's that is still functional and is quite a workhorse, but just can't do more than about 8-10 doughs in a batch. First the capacity of the DLX is amazing, it states it can do 15lbs of dough and last night I did 11 pounds with no problem. That allows me 29 6oz dough balls which is fantastic, not that I need that much all the time, but it is nice to be able to do that much without issue or multiple batches. The DLX is not a planetary mixer as the bowl rotates and the dough hook remains in place and the dough works around the dough hook and side scraper. There is a dough hook that can be used, or also a center vertical dough roller, I have found that for larger batches the dough hook works better than the roller. In all the batches I have made so far, the feel of the dough has been great and the ingredients are completely incorporated without issues. There is no more pushing "climbing" dough down off the hook of a KA mixer which is great, I hated doing that. So far all of my dough has either been pizza or bagel dough and the mixer hasn't flinched at either. I have noticed I am able to cut back on my flour ever so slightly, it may be that it incorporates it better, but if a batch calls for 1000 grams of flour, I may only put in 950-975 or so, I haven't actually measured how much I am not adding, but will do that next time. I would not say it is a flaw, but this mixer is meant to do work, I did try a batch of dough that would have only produced about 3 dough balls and they were not mixed as well as my KA could have done, so if you are doing a very small batch, you may want to either do it by hand or in another mixer.
Well that is it for now, as I am learning I will certainly add more.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Electrolux DLX mixer - review

Thanks for the review.

I've been thinking about stepping up to one of these.

Now I have to figure out how to explain to my wife why I need a $500 mixer...

Suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Thanks for the review.

I've been thinking about stepping up to one of these.

Now I have to figure out how to explain to my wife why I need a $500 mixer...

Suggestions?
That's approaching what you spent for the WFO, that may be a tough sell. But then you did just get a promotion.

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ha, when you figure outhow to do that, let me know, and I'll try your sales pitch on my husband...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How to justify the $500 mixer? Easy, show them the SP-5 first, this is what I got at about $1600. Tell them how much you want it, then "settle" for the DLX at $500. I still like my SP-5, but it is heavy and hard to clean. Think I might go for the DLX if I had it to do over again.

Drake
Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
How to justify the $500 mixer? Easy, show them the SP-5 first, this is what I got at about $1600. Tell them how much you want it, then "settle" for the DLX at $500. I still like my SP-5, but it is heavy and hard to clean. Think I might go for the DLX if I had it to do over again.

Drake
Most excellent idea!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Serf

I just bought an electrolux dlx 2000 on ebay for about 375 with shipping. Haven't had a chance to try it with dough in it yet. She clames it was only used once and didn't have the origional box but most of the accesories were still in their origional packaging. My only consern is it seems to be a bit loud when I turn it on. It sounds like a low rumble like a car engine but not as loud as that and gets louder as I turn up the speed. Is this normal?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Apprentice

bruce - I haven't noticed any noise issues when I use my DLX, I don't think it is any louder than my Kitchen Aide. As far as turning up the speed and increasing noise, I haven't taken mine above about 20-30% yet but even increasing the speed a I haven't noticed any sound issues.
I know there is a mixers group on Yahoo and there is a lot of DLX info there, you may need to do some research there.
here is the link to the mixers group Mixer-Owners : Mixer-Owners
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Serf

Thanks for the reply. I went to the site and signed up there and posted a wav file of the noise to see if anyone responds. if you would like to listen, the url is:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QD7fRwK...00%20noise.wav
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Journeyman

Try this post from Pizzamaking.com, complete with similar .WAV sound.
PLEASE HELP!! DLX suddenly making loud noise???

Plucked from the post:

Royalux Corp.
Mr. Roth (apparently, no first name is ever given!)
105 Pleasant Avenue
Saddle River, NJ 07458
Phone: (201) 785-8840
Fax (apparently his preferred mode of contact info communication): (201) 785-8841
Email: contact@magicmillusa.com

PizzaPolice