Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Apprentice

Default does anyone know how to build a glass kiln?

I have been looking at glass kilns for my artist wife. The cost a a few square foot glass kiln is pretty spendy....any ideas out there?
berryst

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: does anyone know how to build a glass kiln?

Are you looking for a kiln /furnace for slumping or one for annealing (she a bead maker?) or an honest to goodness furnace for crucibles of molten glass for casting or blowing?

Hard to beat the price of a second hand side load Paragon for annealing (electric). Or top load for slumping (I have a High Fire Paragon (top loading) for enameling on tiles and slumping). If you are looking at a furnace for blowing or casting then you are looking at some big bucks for gas (cost of propane) or quartz rods and a sizable electric bill.

I've hand wound ni-chrome wire for elements in my muffled furnace and I don't think there is a significant savings in the size you are wanting unless you are in need of a special shaped furnace as I was. Especially if you count your labor and materials have skyrocketed since then as well.

You're into second hand and Craig's List and what with the economy headed for or in the toilet, there should be alot of hobby stuff coming on the market. What's available in "The Little Nickel"? That's where I would look as well as checking the bulletin board at Seattle Pottery Supply (although deals there move pretty fast). You could always post a "Looking For" ad. And check the bulletin board at Pratt Fine Arts Center in Seattle, they have a great school for hot glass work and the students know where the deals are.

I just gave away a very small (inside 4"x4") enameling kiln to a bead maker friend for annealing beads. He was looking for a small oven to save the cost of firing his side load Paragon when he had time for making only a few beads. I picked it up at St. Vinny's in Bremerton for something like five bucks. Deals are out there.

Wiley
Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Apprentice

I should have known that you would know about this Wiley you are pretty creative. Yes, I am a bargain hunter and have searched craigs list....will keep looking.

What she need is the slumping and annealing variety of kiln... pendants and plates.

I just couldn't help thinking that they look pretty simple and that building from scratch would be cost effective

Berryst

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Journeyman

Not that hard, Ri26's on the base, ceramic fiber blanket or boards for the roof and walls. Best to use a "top hat " design, or a hinged box lid. Gas fired would be expensive to use, wire elemented the best.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Apprentice

johnny
Have you ever seen plans?
I've only seen the brick variety but a fiber blanket or board sounds pretty easy.
They look so simple it just can't be that difficult....famous last word on the WFO forum

berryst

Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Journeyman

Go to Mayne Island Glass Foundry they have videos available.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Master Builder

Interesting site..lets see he wants around $45 to $50 for his videos then there is the cost of materials and the time to build basically what is something with small resale value; and lets see on Craigs list right now is this:
Medallion Electric Kiln
Smallish but looks like about the size Berryst is talking about (saw your wanted ad by the by). Comes with a bunch of stuff you might want or not and they only want $200 obo. So what's your time worth? Disclaimer: I have no personal interest in this kiln or its sale and I'm not saying this is the best kiln for this purpose, but it would work.

Easily reaches slumping temps....you only need max 1600 F for slumping. It gets the wife slumping glass in a few days leaving you time to make and eat pizza!

Wiley
Old 10-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Apprentice

This is a great size kiln but apparently glass needs to be heated from the top. We have two ceramic kilns already.
Thanks for the input your efforts are greatly appreciated.

By the way I'm still playing with flour...have coming a couple of bags from the Montana Wheat company. Maybe we could split a $100 minimum...that about two 50 pound bags. They offered me 10 pounds of there best wheat and white when I told them what I was looking for.....free.
berryst

Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can't share in your flour, but I have used Montana Wheat's whole wheat flour. It's pretty good. Finer than most, so the texture's good in the finished product. I still haven't found a 100% whole wheat recipe I'm happy with. They're too heavy, and most have sweetener of some sort, which I'd rather not have in my bread.

I've also used their white flour, which is also good, but I think I'll stick with KA for that.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Apprentice

Elizabeth
This is going to sound strange but I use 25% whole wheat pastry flower in the dough and it works the best for me.
What Kind of KA flour are you using ,,,high gluten?
Berryst