Old 05-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Apprentice

Default cooking pizzas

One of my favorites on a pizza is sausage. For those of you that have already finished your ovens, is the pizza in the oven long enough to cook the sausage, or do you have to first fry or grill the sausage prior to putting it on the uncooked pizza?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: cooking pizzas

I usually precook my sausage but that's because I want to reduce the fat.

But I think it will be okay....Try it as the last ingredient on top initially, not too large pieces initially....and go from there.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
is the pizza in the oven long enough to cook the sausage, or do you have to first fry or grill the sausage prior to putting it on the uncooked pizza?
Because of potential problems with undercooked pork, we precook. We love Italian sausage on our pizzas. We fry it up before hand, drain the fat and sprinkle it on the pizza. Works great!

I'm not too sure raw pork would get fully cooked in the pizza oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Master Builder

I would agree with Jim. Cook the meat first. Although I have yet to finish my oven (and speak from observation rather than experience), rather than grilling or frying, while the oven is firing up, I've seen people place the sausage in a pan toward the vent of the oven to cook the sausage.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Master Builder

If you do cook the meat first, then I usually put them lower on the pizza...unless you want them blackened

I call this the logic sequence...protect those ingredients down by the dough that you don't want to char (pepperoni and sausage?) and put other ingredients up top that you want to toast (for me the onions and peppers, tomatoes too...all stand up to the heat well)...goes for cheese too, the parmesan is often better under the ingredient pile while the soft mozzarella goes up top.....but I used to call them dinner pizza's!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Serf

when I am cooking pizza with sausage I usaully pre-cook my sausages.
They taste better when you pre-cook it.
!!!