Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greenman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Broken Hill NSW

Twelve years ago while fossicking for gem stones out the back of Broken Hill NSW in Oz we were on a station called Mcdougalls Well, there are gems of the Quartz family to be found, citrine, amethyst, smokey.
Permission to enter the property has to be sought prior to entry which we did with a phone call.
The gem fields are some 20 kms from the homestead so they wouldnt even know if you were actually on the property, but courteous persists.

We stayed there for 4 days digging for the gems with I must say not much luck apart from a few scraps.

Access to the property is via the entry to another property called Corona, its also courteous to let them know whats going on.

After our failed attempt to find any gems we started the drive to leave the property, on the way out as you do as a gem hunter you look for likely prospects.

My son and I saw a mine drive into a hill, we proceeded up the shaley slope to the drive, slipping and sliding almost unable to proceed, at the top of the slop we were confronted with the said drive and a deep shaft to the right of it.

As we entered the drive and my eyes became accustomed to the light in the darkness I froze.
There at the end of the drive were full grown red Kangaroo carcases stashed for what ever dragged them up the slop to devour later.

We made a hastily retreat waiting for what ever was powerful enough to drag the roos up the slop to take us for its next meal.

I am heading out into the same area on Friday 14.6.13 (next Friday) for a two week holiday.
I am so tempted to call in and take some pics but at the same time dare I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-10-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Broken Hill NSW

Sounds like the work of the Jabberwokky! You probably know them in Victoria as Roostowers. Haven't heard of them for ages, thought they must have gone extinct. There you go......... Proceed with all due caution!!
Wild Duck likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics