Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Beer fight in Basel

Weird things happening here...

I don't know how many of you are aware that the European football championship is about to start (that would be soccer to some of you). Football is big over here. And Basel is one of the host cities....

Ever heard of the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations)? They've sold exclusive rights to various sponsors for the entire championship inside and outside the stadium... which means that the only beer any Basel restaurant or bar in the fan zone is allowed to sell for the duration is Carlsberg. They're not allowed to have sun shades, beer mats or beer glasses with any other beer logo on either. And you're even not supposed to wear a T-shirt or hat with the logo of any other beer...

Three restaurants, right in the centre of the officially designated fan zone, have refused... so they reached a compromise: they're going to put up a 2 m high fence round them from midday to midnight, to put them "outside" the fan zone again.

And if there's one place I'm going to visit during this whole football hooha, its going to be one of those three places there! Bet I won't be alone?

One local Basel brewery has issued a T-shirt with "Basel: more than just Calrsbreg" and its own brand name (Unser Bier, in case you wondered) - I'll be sure to be wearing one when I go for that beer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Beer fight in Basel

But no English football hooligans. How weird is that?
James

Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

... we can supply our own if needs be .

Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Apprentice

Hey Frances, I like soccer, or is it football?

Tough draw for Switzerland, every team in their group is tough. I think Switzerland and Portugal should survive it, but you never know. Chechs might have other ideas.

Looking over at group B, I'd guess Germany takes it, so I would think Switzerland would not mind coming in at the 2 spot in their group. Then they wont have to play Germany till Semis.

My favorite group is C, where I have to root for Italy and Holland to come out on top.

From D, I would say Spain at 1, and Sweden at 2. I think Greece got way too lucky last time.

Wait a minute, was I supposed to be talking about beer here? Sorry, sometimes when I think about soccer, I get confused.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Missing the Brits, we've decided to adopt the Italian (Azzurre). We watched the last World Cup Italy - Germany game in a bar (overtime), and the Italy - France (shootout) final at home. That was excellent.

James

Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Frances,
I just read your Beer Wars posting to my soccer playing (not yet beer drinking) daughter. She loved it.
James

Old 06-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've got my money on Holland - though admittedly I know more about beer than football...

Glad your daughter liked it, James. When I go, I'll take a camera, see if I can get some photographic evidence.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Apprentice

As strange as that marketing frenzy is, I don't think it's as odd as what happened in Germany during the World Cup. If I understand correctly, Budweiser somehow got exclusive rights to stadium sales. In GERMANY!

Gross.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
When I go, I'll take a camera, see if I can get some photographic evidence.
Definitely.
James

Old 06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Apprentice

Ed, I remember when I was watching the Germany World Cup on TV that I thought it was strange to see Budweiser advertisements. I never confirmed this one way or the other, but one of my friends was actaully in Germany during the cup and told me that Budweiser was only allowed to advertise, and could not sell any of their beer in Germany. My friend said Budweiser brand beer did not meet the strict German Beer requirment of only having four ingredients. I'm not sure if four ingredients is all you need. I don't know much about beer, other than the fact it tastes really good. Even better when its served really cold, at any sporting event.