Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Barter, trade, exchange.... interested?

I was picking up pecans out of my yard a few weekends ago. They are quite tasty out of the shell. No roasting required. They are so much better than prepackaged shelled pecans in the grocery stores. And hundreds of times better than the wax-covered unshelled variety of pecans in the produce section.

So it got me to thinking.......

In this part of the world pecans are plentiful, and are one of the local things that people around here get to enjoy. People from other areas will never have the chance to try pecans right from the tree.

Most us are spread all across the world, and undoubtedly have little local treasures, like pecans, that the others of us may never get to try.

So why don't we try sharing them.

My idea -- Someone offers food(or maybe other stuff) that is plentiful in their area in exchange for something that is plentiful in someone else's part of the world.

So I will start. I will bag 1 lb of pecans and ship them to someone else in another part of the world. (regulations permitting) In exchange for something else. (offers here please!) Maybe a nice sourdough starter?

Please let me know any thoughts on this barter idea. I think it could be really fun!

Thanks,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Barter, trade, exchange.... interested?

Hey Dave,

I will trade you one pound of pecans for one pound of sage brush.

les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Hey Dave,

I will trade you one pound of pecans for one pound of sage brush.

les...

Quite tempting Les....

Is it suitable for say... Kindling?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Journeyman

Assuming standard 9 x 2.5 x 4.5 firebrick, weigh it and send me the same weight in pecans, I will take one of my remaining (standard) firebricks etch whatever you want (but generally text) into the face (or sides) of the brick and send it to you.

No idea how many pecans = 1 firebrick, but if it is more that what one would reasonably want, consider a partial brick, just tell me how to cut it.

Jim
Old 12-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Master Builder

SNOW! You can have it all!! No exchange required!!!

Seriously, I think it's a great idea ... now I need to come up with something unique to contribute. Fiddleheads maybe, except we usually only get enough for a meal or two ... more thought needed here.

Sarah
Old 12-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg31 View Post
Assuming standard 9 x 2.5 x 4.5 firebrick, weigh it and send me the same weight in pecans, I will take one of my remaining (standard) firebricks etch whatever you want (but generally text) into the face (or sides) of the brick and send it to you.

No idea how many pecans = 1 firebrick, but if it is more that what one would reasonably want, consider a partial brick, just tell me how to cut it.

Jim
half a fire brick>?

with a Kokopelli on the 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" side?

would make a nice keystone after an arch rework!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah h View Post
SNOW! You can have it all!! No exchange required!!!

I don't need the snow.... lol

Quote:

Seriously, I think it's a great idea ... now I need to come up with something unique to contribute. Fiddleheads maybe, except we usually only get enough for a meal or two ... more thought needed here.
yeah i thought it might be fun..
even if no one wants pecans!

what is a fiddlehead though?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Master Builder

To answer your question Dave (with help from Wikipedia):

Fiddlehead refers to the unfurled fronds of young Ostrich ferns harvested for food consumption. The fiddlehead resembles the curled ornamentation (called a scroll) on the end of a fiddle. They are eaten as a cooked leaf vegetable.
Though available regionally in some supermarkets and restaurants, fiddleheads aren't cultivated and are available only seasonally, harvested in early spring, before they bolt into open fern fronds.
Fiddleheads are a traditional dish of New England and Eastern Canada. The New Brunswick village of Tide Head bills itself as the Fiddlehead Capital of the World. In the U.S. state of Vermont, fiddleheads are served with cider vinegar and butter in the spring, and pickled with dill seed for eating year round.

I love 'em!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Master Builder

PS - forgot to say, I love pecans too!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

This could be a great idea. The only problem I see is shipping costs -- and how we handle bartering items that have varying weights and shipping costs.

If you (all) think we could pull this off, I would be happy to create a Barter forum right below the Chit Chat section. We would provide the "forum" for trading, and everyone can work out the details.

What do you think? Do we have enough things out there to barter?

James