Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Annual March Bracket Crash

Does anyone else have this problem. I got two of the first three games played wrong. Blah.

Can you be statistically eliminated after 60 minutes?

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Annual March Bracket Crash

Well, James, at least we have reasonable confidence that your bread skills exceed your prognostication skills! )

More seriously, my Longhorns made it through the first round but...Duke will be an interesting matchup. Duke should clearly be favored but the Horns can beat anyone on the right night.

The madness continues...and the symptoms can only be moderated by great pizza and sourdough!

Good luck!
Jay
Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Cal lost, but I got a little better over the rest of day 1. Brother lives near St. Mary's in NorCal, which many people think were the last team to not make the field of 64. Dad went to Penn St., who also just missed. Darn.

At last check, I'm 30,058 on the NY Times. The winner gets a Kindle, but it isn't looking good. :-)
James

Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

One web site (USA today, MSNBC?) was offering 100 grand for a perfect bracket. Has that ever happened? My team didn't even make it - got invited to a junk tournament and was "one and done". Oh well - next year

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hold the press. I'm doing a little better, and I've had six in a row right into the sweet 16. I'm down to 6,180. Who knows. :-)
James

Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I'm holding pretty steady. 8,175. I have 13 of the sweet 16, and 1 automatic loser. Wisconsin was my big upset hope (my longshot into the round of 16), but they didn't quite make it.

Does anybody else have a work or Internet pool? I joined the one at my brother's law firm and almost won a few years ago. It is, of course, all luck. :-)

James

Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I'm holding pretty steady. 8,175. I have 13 of the sweet 16, It is, of course, all luck. :-)
13 of the 16 - you may have missed your calling James - Vegas needs you!

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What are the statistical odds of a perfect bracket (assuming all teams are equal!)

Updated!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The odds are infinitesimal - estimated at 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 1 for all 65 games.

Jay
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Master Builder

Must be a guy thing ... I know you're talking about a sport ...