Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking XB Avatar

Marcel, I didn't even know what it was called....Avatar....learning more every day.

Here's the scoop.

The photo was taken last fall when Spanish friends came over to cook us a paella on their gas ring. I posted a few of those smaller photos on the paella post. The statue can probably be seen in the foreground. Now Juano is a bit of a joker and when I came out, the statue was holding a large crustacean, wrapped in a dishtowel and holding my paella spoon to his lips...pretty cute. (The paella is being cooked in the background)

Now the rest of the story.....that statue is a copy of one found in Pompeii. If you go to Pompeii, there is another copy in the entrance patio to one of the uncovered villas. (Original is in a museum in Rome) It's from the House of Fawn, named for the "dancing faun" who welcomed occupants and visitors to the villa. My dad ran across it somewhere and put it in the patio entrance to his house.

What's intersting is that I have a picture of my wife Vaughn next to the statue in Pompeii....before I knew my dad had a copy.

Such is life.....

Not bad for a Italian oven forum, eh!

XJ
Attached Thumbnails
XB Avatar-pompeii-dressed.jpg   XB Avatar-pompeii-side.jpg   XB Avatar-pompeii3.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: XB Avatar

There is definitely a cosmic connection here. The idea for the Pompeii oven and this forum came to me while I was standing in front of that fawn (well, at least the copy that is at the house). I had been crawling around inside the original ovens (which are great), and starting thinking about making a set of plans -- which quickly fast forwards to today.
James

Old 02-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Whoa.....I think I just heard the twilight zone theme song....

....it can be a very small world!

...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Journeyman

Thumbs up AViATeR

(M) Jim (James) thanks so much for the enlargements of your Fawn, both modest and exibitionist. I had earlier been unable to "read" the image.

(M) Your explanation(s) are clear and very interesting. I'd purchase a copy of that Faun if I could find a reasonable price in Oregon.

Ciao,

Marcel
Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Marcello,
Are you looknig for an ordinary fawn, or one eating Paella?
James

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Back (and forth) XJ. Here two days, gone two weeks. Tough keeping up with the threads.

Any recipes for mussel dishes from Espana?

BTW, what the heck is that a picture of next to your signature? Looks like some pagan statue wearing a kitchen towel and swinging num chuks (spelling unverified). ...and another thing...... what the heck does guzar or guzarlos mean? Questions, questions....
Here's the explanation and better pictures George.

and the Tiempo para Guzarlos means "time to enjoy them", as in

"May you have Health, Love, and Money
....and time to enjoy them"

This was my Dad's favorite saying with a glass of red wine in his hand
...he died at 87.

...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Master Builder

Cool Jim,

I do love your avatar - at first I thought that was spagetti in his upper hand....

Can you share your dad's entire saying with us?

Sounds very similar in content to toasts that my guys in China use (but I think Love is replaced by Luck) but it sounds not so romantic to my western ears.

Christo

Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice! Good explaination. Obviously I wasn't there for the first telling of the story. None of the translators on the internet could handle guzar or guzarlos.

Perhaps our dads are sharing a glass of vino in the after-life.

Cool statue.

-