Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Peasant

Default Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV

Thanks for this great forum-I like many others have spent time reviewing, researching, and pondering before starting a WFO build. We finally started our 42" a few weeks back with the stand, hearth, insulating board, cooking floor and soldier course pretty much completed.

We'll cover the CMU and redo the adjacent BBQ island to match next spring when the weather warms up again. Might be doing some more of the oven build this winter, just takes longer having to keep the build tented and a small heater going until mortar can stand the temperatures without heat.

The HF 10" saw idea from the forum is awesome-managed to snag one for $197.00 last weekend. Even with the temperature change we'll be able to get all the brick cut in the heated garage out of the wind, and look to mortar when there's a sunny calm day hopefully soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-front.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-kitchen-side.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-patio-side.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-floor.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV

Had a great warm Saturday and got the arch started along with getting the soldier and first sailor course mortared in. Will have to brush and clean the bricks when I have the chance.

Keeping everything under plastic with a small space heater until the mortar is good to go. Another warm Saturday and I can probably have the arches finished and much of the dome bricks set.
Attached Thumbnails
Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010049.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010050.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010051.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010052.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010053.jpg  

Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey neighbor - it's great to have another build so close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 03-11-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
That's coming along really well , noticed the neat cuts on the revel.
I'm in the sub tropics so the concept of building in the cold and having to warm cement for it to cure is foreign to me. Around these parts best time to build would be winter as the middle of summer much to hot and usually to wet
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Peasant

Les,

Your oven came out great and I spent a lot of time looking your build. It will be a good feeling to get ours done and enjoy some cooking time.

CobblerDave,

Thanks for the nice comment on the reveal. Our summers here often get to 100 F, and being somewhat short time for taking the trailer to the mountains often outweighs backyard projects. The colder weather is a hindrance with having to tent the oven off and slows building down, but not a deal breaker. We'll trudge on a bit at a time.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Journeyman

CV
What a nice start you have, things look great. I give you credit for attempting a build in the winter, you definitely would not want to try that here, Today's high 40* and 25* over night, brrr. I hope you get good weather to get lots done!

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:

Last edited by hodgey1; 11-03-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
CV
What a nice start you have, things look great. I give you credit for attempting a build in the winter, you deffenetly would try that here, Today's high 40* and 25* over night, brrr. I hope you get good weather to get lots done!
Our weather is 48 / 24, not much different. When I was building mine and it got cold, I threw a tarp on it and called it good until next spring. Too much hassle dealing with snow and freezing mortar...

Old 11-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Peasant

With the afternoon above 40 managed to get a little more of the arch together. Looking like I'll be following your lead Les and getting ready to let it sit until it warms up again next spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010056.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010057.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV_Oven View Post
With the afternoon above 40 managed to get a little more of the arch together. Looking like I'll be following your lead Les and getting ready to let it sit until it warms up again next spring.
Good call. I was on the 6th course when I wrapped it up. You KNOW this is coming at us...
Attached Thumbnails
Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-covered-winter.jpg  

Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Peasant

The winter is for sure coming, but a few days with afternoons 68 degrees or so gives me some additional working time. I roughed in the arches and have two more course rough cut and ready for mortar. The adapter plate fits well but still needs a day or so of fitting bricks.

Also need to acid wash the exposed faces, which might happen tomorrow if this warm weather holds.
Attached Thumbnails
Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010063.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010064.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010065.jpg   Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV-s3010066.jpg