Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Serf

Default And so it begins...

Hello, just signed up - I'm starting a 36" Pompeii oven...
I will add pics as I go along (since I feel I benifit looking at the pics of others)
I've got no real background in building stuff, so am a little tentative.
But - this forum seems most helpful, so... First question:

I am planning to order 185 standard fireplace fire bricks (9” x 4.5” x 2.25” @ $1.23 each - deformation temp 2754F) and refractory mortar - which comes premixed in a 55lb tub for $63.10. Will two tubs (110lbs) of refractory mortar be enough, or should I get three? The supplier (BC Bricks) says you can lay about 115 bricks with one tub - but that may not account for the rounded shape of the oven?

I live on an island and have to have supplies sent over to me from the mainland on a barge - getting the wrong stuff, or running out and needing to get more would be an awkward, time consuming and expensive undertaking. So I just want assurance me that I'm getting the right amount of the right stuff.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: And so it begins...

Hi DBinnema,
You are right on the money. I'm not a mason, but I did some maths for you.
My math says that 100 bricks are going to fit into your oven, so 185 is pretty good, you know, you will be spoiling some bricks here and there, and it's your call. If you can pay for 185, why not? I'll not encourage you to buy less than 185 but I will not recommend to buy more.
As for mortar, I did the math too for the rounded shape, I'm not sure, all I know is that you need about 1000"^3 of (mortar mixed with water and ready for mortaring) Ask your supplier what the volume of the ready mortar is. It should be more than 1000"^3 i.e 17L, make them 20L just in case.
As for the right material, I reckon you are purchasing the right stuff. You must be as generous with insulation too.
Here is the draft of my calculations you can justify them, I'm not a mason neither a mathematician. I'm just trying to help.
The machine is losing the uploaded images. I'll post them to you a few hours later.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Apprentice

Here is the mortar calculation
And so it begins...-mortar.jpg
Old 05-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Apprentice

and here are the brick calculations

And so it begins...-bricks.jpg

Last edited by v12spirit; 05-02-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Serf

Wow! That was an impressive answer. Intimidating, if that is the sort of numerical skill level required to build this baby, yet also comforting, because this forum is quickly proving invaluable. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
That sounds a little tight on the bricks there v12spirit. You forgotten the entrance hearth and entrance way
If you go back to the plans for a 36 in dome it calls for 60 firebrick for the hearth ( and entrance way hearth. 120 firebricks cut in 1/2s for the dome and a further 30 common bricks for the entranceway. Its a bit over in its calculations in one way as accounts for a bit of waste for cutting the bricks sides.
My own oven 42 in consumed 160 firebricks for oven and entrance hearth and dome. I used commons for the entranceway. That's with minimal cutting as well
So DB your going to be very close at 185 bricks if you don't do to many fancy cuts of course. I recon you could find yourself just few shy though you just can't tell.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you cut the brick to fit tight you'll use more than you think. I've been asked how many brick for ovens that size, and I tell them 200. That number covers incidentals like bad cuts or junk brick. You'll also have enough to build a flue transition and maybe have a few left over to use as a panini press or something.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
If you cut the brick to fit tight you'll use more than you think. I've been asked how many brick for ovens that size, and I tell them 200. That number covers incidentals like bad cuts or junk brick. You'll also have enough to build a flue transition and maybe have a few left over to use as a panini press or something.
I was just figuring up my firebricks a few days ago for my 36"oven. I just bought 175, ($1.56 +tax each) knowing I'd be fairly close. They are readily available locally, so it's no big deal to go buy a few more if and when I need them, which I am guessing I will. So, I guess I was pretty close. Nice to know.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'd say don't bother with the refractory mortar. Go with homebrew. It's much cheaper and the supplies you need (portland, sand, lime, fireclay) are generally readily available - with the possible exception of fireclay, which you can harvest from cutting your bricks.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Peasant

Homebrew works great and is inexpensive. Used it on our WFO and on a Dutch Oven/grill some years back and never had an issue.