Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Serf

Default restaurant

A friend is wanting to do ao brick oven restaurant. He wants to build the oven himself. Are there any liabilities to building the oven yourself if it's for commercial use?? He doesn't have the city, building, or menu picked out yet but he's sure he wants it to be a brick oven restaurant. Should he wait on the build or just start building it to get that part out of the way?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: restaurant

Better talk to the city, fire inspector, building inspector... etc. etc.

And anyone else who might object.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I agree with that. Get all that done and approved before you make any commitments. It is different district by district, so contact everybody who might have authority.
James

Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Serf

just wonderin about the liability. i told him it would be a good idea to get it commercially built by a professional but he said that there is no real danger. Kinda like it's really safe and not much can go wrong.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashlyCasey View Post
just wonderin about the liability. i told him it would be a good idea to get it commercially built by a professional but he said that there is no real danger. Kinda like it's really safe and not much can go wrong.
Well... if he doesn't like advice...tell em to go fer it!!!!!!!!!!!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any lawyers among us WFO rebels?

Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission! (that's the amature lawyer in me speaking )

.....but it would be a major bummer to build an oven and then get shut down.

There are lots of restaurants with wood ovens so I don't think liability for building your own oven would be too great. He's going to have insurance for the business and that would probably cover youi.

Interesting question.....CJ, James, et al you guys building ovens for others?? Do you have some kind of errors and ommissions professional liability insurance?

XJ

Remember, opinions are like cracks....everybody has one!

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

A restaurant is a business. I would make sure you have every permit required and all the insurance a professional agent recommends.
James

Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Serf

I don't know how it is in Texas but in Oregon when We had our restaurant you couldn't do anything yourself but change a light bulb. and If you tried anything then someone would rat you out. The inspection prosess will protect you.

Last edited by orsonw1; 03-17-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: incomplete thought