Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Pompeii Oven eBook V2.0

Hey all,

I have been working on an updated version of the Pompeii Oven eBook. It includes new photos, updates on insulation, the Indispensable Tool and other various improvements.

It is ready to go, but I have a question. It is a 6.5MB zip compressed PDF file. Is that too big for typical email services? The current Pompeii eBook (v1.2) is 4.7MB.

Let me know what you think. If that size will go through, that would be good -- and I won't have to go back an further compress the photos and drawings. :-)

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii Oven eBook V2.0

James - I just went to download it to see what my carrier supports and the file is 4.9M. Isn't that about the size of the old one?

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi Les,

I haven't posted the new one yet. It will be OK to download the larger file through the FB Store, but we also email the eBook quite a bit, and it would good for it to always go through.

James

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Anything under 10 Mb in size would be fine for downloading in today's "broadband" Internet environment as a rough guide (I am not aware of any official benchmarks on this)! As long as the file size is indicated alongside the download link, users can make a value judgement on whether or not they want to download it!!

The eBooks are a fantastic resource - please keep them coming James! Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Rossco
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

About 10mb seems about right in the high speed world. My personal email is through Brighthouse and easily handles 10 mb (have not attempted more than about 12 mb).
My wife and I both have trouble with anything over 9.5 or 10 mb with our work email (routed through VPNs and Microsoft Exchange servers which are intentionally limited because of the number of users).
The dial up folks may have issues, not to mention waiting all day if it does make it through.

RT
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Master Builder

The size is probably fine, but are you sure you can't compress it? Some Adobe products let you set certain parameters when you create a PDF, like specifying a resolution ("print" vs "press", etc.).

Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Laborer

You can also make the pdf file itself, smaller by making it backward compatible with older Adobe readers. From Acrobat go Document>Reduce File Size. Can sometimes condense a large pdf in half. Then do your zip compression.

I appreciate your site very much. I am on it daily as I do my build. I'll be ordering my pizza tools and ingrediants from you, hopefully real soon!

Take Care

Gavin
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Apprentice

I'm laughing at myself for being so excited about version 2.0 since my oven is pretty much done except for exterior finishing touches. I know I'll read this version from start to finish as soon as it's available. You have us all hooked, James. : )
Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

LOL. Very funny sjmeff.

I have posted V2.0 to the FB Store. Let me know what you think. The document has 150 photos, drawing and tables, and we compressed each one before building the document, then we compressed the PDF using Acrobat, and then we compressed it again with Zip. Cool.

Enjoy!
James

Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey guys,

I just tested the system, and it's very quick. I received my download instructions by email almost immediately, and the file download was quick.

Let us know if you have any problems.
James