Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Serf

Default Pizza Chimney

I am building an pizza oven that will be finished igloo style (no roof or outer building). Do I need a chimney? I would like to build without one. How well will the wood burn without a chimney? Any info would help.

Gino
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Pizza Chimney

A chimney helps with draft: the air flow that heats your dome and keeps your wood burning. It also keeps the smoke on start up, and the hot combustion gases while you are cooking, out of your face. I'd recommend a chimney highly.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Master Builder

There are definately ovens without chimneys....but as David says....you're better to have one!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I dunno... if you'd prefer not to have one... why not?

Ok, the draw won't be as good, you'll get smoke out of the front and soot on the entry, but as long as you know that and its what you prefer... you'll still end up with a very cool oven that cooks incredible pizza and bread.

The plans say you can build an oven without a chimney, so if thats what you want, I'd say go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Journeyman

As long as its not under a roof you should be O.k
Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Journeyman

I'm curing my oven "without my chimney". Most of the smoke goes up the opening I have but not all. I think you would want a small chimney section to help draw the smoke up and keep it out of your face...

I have a pergola by my oven so I'll need about 7 feet of chimney.

Dick
Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pizza Chimney

The higher the chimney, the further from your comfort zone, the smoke is released. Who wants the smoke to hang around on a still day/night. Get it up and away.

Neill

Pizza Chimney-neill-s-spark-arrester-chimney-arrester

Click to enlarge

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, but... after considering safety, smoke etc... if you just prefer the look of chimneyless oven, it WILL work. Our ovens don't all have to look the same after all.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Yes, but... after considering safety, smoke etc... if you just prefer the look of chimneyless oven, it WILL work. Our ovens don't all have to look the same after all.
Well, Frances, I think it's safe to say that nobody's will look quite like yours! (I say that with the utmost envy!)