Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Serf

Default permits needed to use wood burning oven in back yard

I live in Glendale CA. I wanted to know if I need to get any permits from the city, health dept, or fire dept? Also how can I control smoke and possilbe embers that might escape from the chimney. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: permits needed to use wood burning oven in back yard

Ozzie,
As for sparks/embers- if you are using a stainless chimney they usually have a spark arrestor screen mounted on the top. As for smoke- this is a wood fired oven and it will smoke, especially on start up or if you close down the air inlet to smoke meats.
Eric
Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Permiting: A freestanding oven is usually considered a masonry barbecue and exempt from permitting if you maintain the standard setbacks from the property line, by building departments. Yours may vary. If your oven is built into the house, you will need a full permiting process, for liability and insurance reasons if nothing else.

As far as wood burning controls: it will most likely be considered the same as a wood burning stove, although there are sometime exemptions for cooking appliances. This is a strictly local matter.

There was a recent thread on smoke reduction:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...oke-13677.html (Tips for Minimizing Smoke)

Welcome, and good luck with your project.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Journeyman

Really, your best answer is to go to the city and ask them... it matters not what we all think you do or don't need. Although, if something in particular comes up that presents a problem, I'm sure many will help.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Serf

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Serf

DMUN what are the standard set backs that you are familiar with for the property line?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Apprentice

I agree with the previous posts. I went to my local fire marshall and he was all for it, as long as I followed the rules. Mostly Closer than 10 feet to combusables is not allowed. Chimney 2 feet higher than higest point if closer than 10 feet to a structure, 10 feet from porperty line. Open fire pits, 25 feet to combustables.

Local rules always trump general advice. My fire dept and Marshall were very helpful. Take a decent drawing and description of where you want to put it and they will give you the yea or nay.

Good Luck

Derk
Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

All responses are spot on. We have discussed this in the past. When I contacted the city, they didn't have a clue. I was told to go down and pull a permit (our city needs money, go figure). When I contacted the fire marshal he simply told me to keep it 10 foot from any combustible material, ie. house, fence, ect... As far as smoke, can't help you there, I'm burning wood.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Master Builder

Another thing you might want to think about before deciding on your oven location is the general direction of wind and how the smoke might affect your next door neighbor.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
DMUN what are the standard set backs that you are familiar with for the property line?
Around here you can't build anything closer than five feet to the lot line. There are exceptions (mutually agreed upon fences and the like). Again, this is pretty much a local matter, and can vary from place to place.