Old 04-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Serf

Default One of the first Pompeii ovens in Malaysia

Dear All,

the idea of building a pizza oven came up just as an idea with my neighbor while having a "few" beers. The next day I searched around the net and stumbled across the Pompeii Oven plans and this forum.
There is so much valuable info on these sites, that's amazing!
The build is now in the final stages of the dome and we are learning with every step. Once I got all the pictures organized, I want to post a full report on the build including tricks we found very helpful and loads of photos.
I know most people are not from around my place (Malaysia), but if somebody needs tips where to get all supplies needed, I finally got everything I need (except the chimney, but I got some ideas, how to fabricate one).

Cheers,
Dominik
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: One of the first Pompeii ovens in Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun120Y View Post
but if somebody needs tips where to get all supplies needed, I finally got everything I need
So why not post the info here for all to see?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Master Builder

Dominik,
My first build came about over a few beers also.

......yep I 2nd that on pics...... Would be good to see what flavour you put into the design.... I'm guessing its not in the shape of a 120y.... Not that we wouldn't approve.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Serf

Damon,
I am getting there to write and post some images, but I don't want to do something wrong. Can you briefly explain to me how you actually did your post under build #1? That's exactly how I want to look like.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Dom
Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Master Builder

Dom,
Pretty much use the "go Advanced" option to do your post
Then add your pictures with the manage attachments buttons towards the bottom of that screen
Obviously you will need to do multiple posts because there is an image limit per photo.....includig smileys from memory
Also make sure your image file size is down.
Is this what you meant?

There are others who use more of the site functionality than me so I'm sure they will chime in.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Serf

So here we go with my first post on the oven. It's not too far away from being finished, but let's begin with the beginning:

Sourcing for materials in Malaysia (Johor state):
  1. I found one supplier for ceramic fire blankets at a very reasonable price as they are manufactured here. They have 2" and 4" blankets in stock.

Tatlee Engineering & Trading (JB) Sdn. Bhd.
    No 12, Jalan Bentara 1, Taman Iskandar,
    Johor Bahru, Johor, 80050,
    Malaysia.
    Tel: 60-7-3325478
    Fax: 60-7-3311502
  2. Fire bricks (SK 30)
    I was so happy to find a retailer near my place selling fire bricks, but only until he gave me his price. I decided to find another source and found the website of a manufacturer. I called them and they were very helpful and if you buy a palette of bricks (230 pieces) they are willing to send it for a very reasonable price (excactly half from the retailer). Only don't underestimate the weight. The bricks plus mortar weigh about 1.2 MT. And you need to unload them somehow at your place. Not everyone got a forklift near by. They are also supplying the fire clay in 50kg bags.

FIREBRICK INDUSTRIES (M) SDN BHD
    11 1/2 Mile Jalan Pusing/Siputeh, 31350 Pusing,
    Perak, Malaysia
    Tel : 05-3660009 & 05-3660912
    Fax. No : 05-3660918
    E-mail: firebricks2009@gmail.com
  3. Insulating stones
    For the hearth insulation and building the stand I used aerated concrete blocks. The stones you can get at nearly every construction supply store here. They are very easy to cut and carve (see pictures of the stand opening), are light weight and cn easyly withstand the heat. I used them in my gas forge before and even the stone is heatet to 1600 C inside, the outside is still below 50 C.
  4. Cutting tools
    Without my chop saw, this job would've been impossible. The chop saw is a DCA (made in China), but quite reasonable quality for home use. I use it now for about 2 years for tube and rod cutting and never had a problem. The diamant saw blade I got at a local hardware store for under 100 USD (made in Taiwan) and I did over 300 cuts with it until today and it's still good. A will try post a video as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Serf

Here's a video of cutting the fire brick with my chop saw. If there is enough cooling water, there is absolutely no dust and the blade stays sharp for a very long time. You don't even have to clamp the stone, which makes it very easy to cut odd angles. Watch and enjoy :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6ysps6bcz...412_152957.mp4
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Serf

Here are pictures from doing the stand. The oven is located with the opening facing my terrace. My wife is a bit concerned about the heat, but as the heat is supposed to stay inside the oven (that's the whole point, right?) and the chimney is going through the roof, I don't see much of a problem there.

Laying out the concrete slab:

Putting everything under cover. Not only for sun protection. After we started digging it was raining cats and dogs and we had to dig a drain around our building site not to be washed away.

Start digging that hole, dad! Thanks for all the help :-)

Last edited by Datsun120Y; 04-22-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun120Y View Post
Here's a video of cutting the fire brick with my chop saw. If there is enough cooling water, there is absolutely no dust and the blade stays sharp for a very long time. You don't even have to clamp the stone, which makes it very easy to cut odd angles. Watch and enjoy :-)
I be putting a fitting into the top of the blade guard to take the hose.
If the hose comes loose its all over red rover.

Plus it will give a better distribution of water to the blade and brick.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Serf

Hi Brickie,
I actually tried many different locations, including the blade guard, with or without nozzle and the best result was the one on the video. If you do it with the lights out, you can always see a short spark once the blade touches the brick if the water position/amount is not enough. That's how I tested the set-up ;-)
Cheers

Tags
malaysia, pizzaoven