Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gulf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Serf

Default newbie-removing embers after a fire

Hello, I recently purchased a mobile oven from Fire Within. Can anyone tell me how long I can should let the embers burn before removing them to my ash can? Is it ok to let them burn out and clean the next morning? Thanks
Old 05-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: newbie-removing embers after a fire

I wait and normaly clean mine out before the next time I fire it again, never when it still has hot embers.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Journeyman

If you are into gardening the ash is a great source of potassium.
If you can mange to remove the charcoal/embers and cool them down (metal bucket water)
The charcoal is great bio-char for your garden
Biochar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Master Builder

I vote for leaving them in the oven until they are well and truly dead.
Of course, I like baking bread, so I remove the fire while some of the embers are still going, but I'm careful to the point of paranoia.
Most people seem to store the firewood in the oven stand, myself included. One unnoticed ember and things could get ugly........
Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulbites View Post
Hello, I recently purchased a mobile oven from Fire Within. Can anyone tell me how long I can should let the embers burn before removing them to my ash can? Is it ok to let them burn out and clean the next morning? Thanks
Get a metal garbage can with a tight fitting lid. Fashon a 1/2" metal construction cloth sieve about 1/4 of the depth from the top. Anything that falls below the cloth goes in the garden. What stays on top is called lump charcoal. Lump is great for starting your next fire, and other applications if you have other grills .
TropicalCoasting and nsxbill like this.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
I the winter evening it doesn't get freezing cold but cold enough when you not used to it in the sub tropics. A tin bucket full of holes with any any excess coals is always crowded around and enjoyed by all.
Always have a wet sack under the bucket to protect the plastic ag grate , you'll see a puff of steam if you drop a coal. No I've not dropped many
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a 5 gal galvanized trash can with a tight fitting lid. I usually just clean out the oven when everything is burned to ash - but when I bake bread, I have pulled out live coals and put them in there. Slam on the lid and secure, and they go out pretty quickly.