Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Serf

Default New Pizzaioli in deep study and in need of help

Hello FB member and thank you for any welcomes in advance as well as advice!

I recently applied at a new restaurant not yet opened to the public . I am a Sous Chef and have worked as well as a professional baker but wound up with full control of a Wood Fired Oven and its kitchen with no previous knowledge of this art and its form ..

Long story short I have been a busy guy the last week with dough R&D
I was given some great books about this art and the Napo Pizza with recipes , but to be honest they were streamlined for back yard oven owners and the dough recipes were poorly written and executed ..

I am now making a standard dough with a 60% water content and I do know that I ll need to adjust due to variables ..Finally today I learned in my study that I should be kneading the dough three times longer than I was .

My problem is the company will not provide me with Caputto flour due to cost and its availability in our area .. I know I ll never make a AUTHENTIC Pie thanks to this alone and my informal training but low and behold I will get by with the pizza parlor flour provided but I sure appreciate any help or tips .. Links to the best info for one in my shoes would be much appreciated as I am overwhelmed now with infor here and am serving pies in less than a week ..

Here is my other dilemmas for those reading this far and willing to help me out .. I am limited as well on cooler space and hope to incorporate a 48 hour cold forment in due time , but for now I need to streamline my dough production and figure out a sure fire way to succeed even without a cooler for proofing .

Luckily I am fluent with cooking and baking so I am doing ok but again I reiterate - Help me lol ..

Thanks for reading my rambles , I look forward to learning all I can from the master pizzaiolis here .. I plant to take this art to the finest form I can while using this brick oven to cook and bake all night once I learn more and train a crew of guys to cook pizza in a brick oven . I will only be cooking lunches and maybe spending 20 hours doing that , otherwise I am in control of all production . So I reiterate any and all help is appreciated