Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Apprentice

Default New to Pizza Oven Building - Hello All!

Hi, I'm Xene and I'm building a 48" corner installation Pompeii (or maybe Naples-style) oven. The warm spring has given me a nearly 2 month jump start on this project, I'm way ahead of schedule - and equally less prepared. I hope to find answers to my questions here as I get this build underway. Thanks in advance all, looking forward to participating here.

Last edited by Xene; 04-27-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: duplicate - sorry
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New to Pizza Oven Building - Hello All!

Welcome

That is a very large oven for home use.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: New to Pizza Oven Building - Hello All!

Thanks for the welcome Lee. Yes, 48 is rather ambitious but we live in an extended family situation, very 'old-country' style, we total 9 just in the family and entertain as many as many35 several times a year. I don't want to build it and regret that I made it too small. Many things I've read seemed to express that you rarely regret bigger, but often regret smaller. Figured a few extra inches would be worth it. Good decision or careless?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xene View Post
..... Good decision or careless?
You are the one to please here, after the build, 48 inch oven will take more fuel than a smaller oven, that is all. Karangi Dude's 48 inch oven build is here.
Xene likes this.

Last edited by Lburou; 04-28-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the link, Karangi Dude's oven is lovely! I've been scouring the forum for pictures of igloo styles, or even better, igloo with mosaics. If anyone can provide some links for either of those I might like to see, I'd sure appreciate it.

I've got some stone work experience, I laid the patio that leads from the house to the oven area myself over the course of the last few years. It is recycled granite and city street brick.

Any links to ovens using similar products in their design would also be most appreciated. I got a diamond-blade tile cutter for Christmas and a cement mixer for my birthday, now I intend to show these men around here how to use them!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I got a diamond-blade tile cutter for Christmas and a cement mixer for my birthday, now I intend to show these men around here how to use them!
Ha! You go, girl!

If I'm not mistaken, Karangi Dude has the most-envious of circumstances: a 48" pompeii and an unlimited supply of wood to fuel it with.

If you haven't seen Frances' build in Switzerland, you will most likely enjoy the beautiful mosaic work she did on her oven. You may find it here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html (Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...)

Looking forward to your pics, including your patio work.

John
Xene likes this.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Master Builder

48" is good I think you will be happy with that. I have a 42" and at times it can get cramped. I hope to start two 52"x72 barrel vault ovens soon, side by side... and yes John, I also have an unlimited supply of wood.

Happy building
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Apprentice

Curious if others can see the pictures I've uploaded to an album I started here? I included one in my reply #5. I can see it, but it doesn't show if I'm not logged in as myself. I can't tell if they are still awaiting moderation or if I've done it wrong.

The album I started is here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...-underway.html - none to thrilling yet, but I will be sharing more as I go, and I'll add a few more 'scenic shots' of the area that show off the patio a bit more.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xene View Post
Curious if others can see the pictures I've uploaded to an album I started here? I included one in my reply #5. I can see it, but it doesn't show if I'm not logged in as myself. I can't tell if they are still awaiting moderation or if I've done it wrong.

The album I started is here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...-underway.html - none to thrilling yet, but I will be sharing more as I go, and I'll add a few more 'scenic shots' of the area that show off the patio a bit more.
Yes, today I see four pictures. Nice location

P.S. Now, I see six pictures.....

Last edited by Lburou; 05-02-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Apprentice

Hmm. There are 6 total in that album, two more show my foundation and hearth stand. They say 'awaiting moderation' - did I do something wrong to require moderation? Oh - and thanks!